Search for content in message boards

John Brown, Clerk of the Court in Mecklenburg Co., VA, 1700s

Replies: 1

Re: John Brown, Clerk of the Court in Mecklenburg Co., VA, 1700s

Posted: 8 Oct 2013 6:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
No, I don't know his lineage but I can tell you about him. He trained in the Office of the Secretary of the Colony, in Williamsburg; like an apprenticeship. It was from that source that clerks of the counties came (colonial period). John Tabb, first clerk of Mecklenburg Court, died (Tabb would have also trained in the Secretary's office), and John Brown was appointed in July 1775 to be the next clerk of court in the county. So, when he went to Mecklenburg he was going from Williamsburg. I do not know anything about before his being in the Secretary's office. He married Anne Geddy, daughter of James Geddy, silversmith in Williamsburg [see Colonial Williamsburg online for some info on the Geddys]. He bought a 1,000 acres when they moved to Mecklenburg. Their son William was born in Mecklenburg and went on to be important in VA government, but I can't remember the specifics just now.

John Brown went from Mecklenburg to Richmond, serving as clerk of at least the General Court. He died Oct. 31, 1810 in Richmond; Anne died Dec. 13, 1795, in Richmond. I *think* they are buried at St. John's Church but I haven't checked that personally.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
tunnelm1 18 Sep 2013 4:24PM GMT 
sttammanyfarm 9 Oct 2013 12:32AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions