Search for content in message boards

Jeremiah and Sarah Buchanan

Replies: 12

Re: Jeremiah and Sarah Buchanan

Posted: 15 Dec 2012 7:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for the parents of Hannah Buchanan who married Nathaniel Thompson. Some have guessed Hannah's parents to be Jeremiah Buchanan and Sarah Jones. It is true that John Thompson (son of James) m. Nancy Buchanan, dau. of Jeremiah Buchanan, surety. 2 Jan 1804. So it is easy to think that John's brother (Nathaniel) and Nancy's sister (Hannah?) married one another as well. It is also known that Hannah named her first daughter after whom could have been her mother (Sarah), and named her first son after whom could have been her father (Jeremiah).

A problem, though, is that Hannah seems to have been born about two or three years before Jeremiah and Sarah married. A possible birthdate is given for Jeremiah as 1767, and that is probably a little young to have Hannah by 1784.

I have some deeds about Jeremiah Buchanan I am sharing in the hopes that it will help someone's research. I have been surprised that Jeremiah and Sarah's marriage record says that her father was Moses or Thomas when it appears from deed work that her father was the man named as the minister that married them - Robert Jones.

4 Mar 1794 Robert Jones sold to Jeremiah Buchanan for 20 pounds 200 acres on the branches of the South Fork of Little River.

Note that on the same page and the same date, Robert Jones sold land to Daniel Howell, but I only have part of the deed.

4 Mar 1794 Robert Jones of Montgomery sold for 5 shillings to John Turman 200 acres on the branches of the south fork of Little River. Jeremiah Buchanan's land mentioned. I only have part of the deed. Note that John Turman married Rachel Jones 7 Sep 1791 in Montgomery County. It appears to me that Robert Jones gave land to his son-in-laws for a very small amount, probably as dower.

There may have been other deeds from the same day, but what I have shows that at least three men received 200 acres apiece from Robert Jones on the same day for a low amount of money.

7 Feb 1799 Benjamin Howell (it appears Senar or Senior is added to the name) sold to Jeremiah Buchanan for 34 pounds 122 acres of land on the south fork of Little River. Witnessed by John Turman, John Kitterman, Joshua Howell, and Daniel Howell.

9 June 1802 John Turman sold to Jeremiah Buchanan for 30 pounds 163 acres on the waters of the south fork of Little River. Benjamin Howell's land mentioned as well as the survey for John Richards and George Harston.

14 Sep 1804 - Jeremiah Buchanan (Buckhannon) of Montgomery sold to John Carter of the same county for 250 pounds a 160 - ? acres tract of land on the waters of the south fork of Little River. The land of Benjamin Howell, George Harston, Turmans, and a survey for John Richards mentioned. I cannot read all the witnesses' names clearly but perhaps it is Isaac Stenson, Charles Menue, William Corner, Daniel Howel, William Stenson, and Conrod Plaster.

If anyone would share their records of the children of Jeremiah Buchanan and Sarah Jones, I would appreciate it.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
BillJinkens 4 Dec 2002 10:09PM GMT 
Gene Winterton 1 Jan 2004 7:51PM GMT 
SueSoderstrom... 12 Nov 2007 10:44PM GMT 
SueSoderstrom... 14 Jun 2007 11:50PM GMT 
ginaindixie 12 Nov 2007 6:30AM GMT 
SueSoderstrom... 12 Nov 2007 10:38PM GMT 
SueSoderstrom... 12 Nov 2007 10:50PM GMT 
patraanne1 16 Dec 2012 2:54AM GMT 
SuzanneandJon 2 Apr 2013 12:15AM GMT 
patraanne1 2 Apr 2013 12:07PM GMT 
per page