Search for content in message boards

Burris, Tribble, Orange County Baptist Preachers c1768

Replies: 0

Burris, Tribble, Orange County Baptist Preachers c1768

Posted: 20 Aug 2012 3:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Tribble, Tandy, Burris, Terrell, Woolfolk, Buriss, Burrace, Burroughs
Pages 35-40 of the 1992 John Keith Rozendal Book on the Tribble family, allegedly contain this citation:

“By 1768, there was wholesale arrest for unorthodoxy and neglect of worship. Many early Baptists were jailed and fined for assembling themselves as preachers. (John BURRIS, Jacob BURRIS, Thomas Terrell, Robert Woolfolk, and many others.)”

I am running Rev. Andrew TRIBBLE (1741-1822), who married Sarah Ann ‘Sallie’ BURRIS (1753-1830), daughter of Thomas BURRIS (1730-1789) and Frances Ford TANDY (1730-1816) in 1768.

Tribble styled himself as the ‘fifty-third Baptist, north of the James River.’ An early parson, Tribble’s alleged influence over Jefferson has kept him in the public sphere for 200 years now. Tribble was undoubtedly persecuted for ‘preaching the Baptist doctrine,’ which may have influenced his decision to skedaddle into what is now known as Kentucky.

I’m looking for information on John or Jacob BURRIS that Rozendal referred to. I seek to establish Tribble/Burris relationships based on religious persecution by colonial authorities. In 1768 Tribble and Burris were likely in Orange County, Virginia.

Find a board about a specific topic