Search for content in message boards

Pittsylvania Co 1777 Oaths of Allegiance - Captain Hankins list

Replies: 4

Pittsylvania Co 1777 Oaths of Allegiance - Captain Hankins list

Posted: 9 Sep 2013 1:25AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Attached is a map image depicting the area of Virginia land grants matching many of the names that appear on Captain Hankins' Oath of Allegiance list. (The reader is referred elsewhere for the list of actual names.) Where a full name match was found, the grant(s) are tinted in yellow. Where a surname-only match was found, these are shaded in light green.

The area shown in the map image is now-Pittsylvania County, in the northwest and west central region. The names fall roughly within the region from Pigg River southwards to the environs of Sandy River, and eastward to the watershed of Banister River.

This map image is being posted to illustrate how grant mapping can be used with other information, to visualize where ancestors lived; to locate extinct stream and topographic names; and for other local research. This approach can also be helpful when looking at marriage data, since before railroads, most folks didn't travel too far to "get hitched". It can also be very helpful in locating streams and other topographic features whose original names have been changed.

Sorry, deed information is not available -- only Virginia colonial and State land grants data. But even if your ancestor never obtained a Virginia colonial or State patent or grant for land, he or she might still be mentioned in neighboring grants. There are many more names in the grants than are reflected in the Library of Virginia's grant indices. (That's why I started this project.)

Ever wonder where your ancestor lived? Who their neighbors were? This project has helped me answer these questions for many of my own. PM me for more info on search services.

Legalese: This map is copyrighted. You may download it or make copies for personal use only. If you would like to use the image on a blog, web site, or in any electronic or print media, please pm me to request permission. Other restrictions may be imposed by Ancestry.Com
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
historymyster... 9 Sep 2013 7:25AM GMT 
Stephen Goodm... 25 Sep 2013 3:04AM GMT 
historymyster... 25 Sep 2013 4:32PM GMT 
Stephen Goodm... 29 Sep 2013 3:15AM GMT 
historymyster... 4 Oct 2013 6:39AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic