Search for content in message boards

Seeking information on Hyram, Hyrum, Hiram Collins

Replies: 1

Seeking information on Hyram, Hyrum, Hiram Collins

Posted: 11 Feb 2014 2:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Feb 2014 2:09PM GMT
I am seeking information on Hyram/Hiram Collins, my ggg-grandfather. In various records his name has been spelled several different ways “Hyram, Hyrum, Hiram”.

Hiram was born about 1800 in Pittsylvania Co., VA and died 01 May 1878 in Pittsylvania Co., VA. Hiram’s first wife was Matilda Reynolds, daughter Joseph Reynolds and Nancy Ford. She was born about 1804 and died before 07 December 1821. Hiram and Matilda were married 21 February 1820 in Pittsylvania Co., VA. I can not locate a record of any child birth to Hiram and Matilda. Hiram’s second wife was Lucinda “Lucy” Adkins/Atkins, daughter of Williams Adkins/Atkins. Name of mother not located. Lucinda was born about 1804 in Pittsylvania Co., VA and died 12 April 1883 in Pittsylvania Co., VA. Lucinda and Hiram were married 07 December 1821. The 1850 Federal Census list six children in Hyram and Lucinda Collins’ household. Other located and verified records indicate Hiram and Lucinda had another five children for a total of eleven children, all living to adulthood.

I have been unable locate any information on Hiram’s parents, his siblings or where he is buried. We do know for certain that he was at the old Collins farm at Callands, VA in July 1863 and for a period prior to, but can not locate anything other than his death date and place of death beyond 1863. There are receipts included with old family records showing he purchased dry goods from local stores in the Callands area in the 1850s and 60s. Hiram is mentioned in letters Brice wrote to his wife, Christine Ann Oakes Collins, prior to his death in July 1863 at Camp Lee, Richmond, VA from the measles. In one interesting letter, Brice is asking his wife to be sure that his father, appoints a guardian for his brother’s little children. Apparently, it was his responsibility and he was drafted before he could accomplish the task.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
gr_ric 11 Feb 2014 9:01PM GMT 
mikekwms 14 Feb 2014 5:34AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions