Search for content in message boards

Hampstead...village or plantation...where was it?

Replies: 0

Hampstead...village or plantation...where was it?

Posted: 21 Aug 2012 2:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ragland Cocke
I'm following up two leads, both pertaining to Dudley Ragland, who was attached to the large Ragland clans of Hanover, Louisa, and Goochland Counties. First in 1801 in a deed, and then in 1805 in an insurance policy (and both times for a Goochland County property), Dudley Ragland named his residence as "Hampstead," in Powhatan County. Given where Ragland ended up in Goochland, my best guess is that Hampstead was in the NW portion of Powhatan and near the James River. To date, though, I can find no reference to a property by that name in Powhatan. Other Hampstead plantations existed in VA at the time, one in New Kent, and another in Caroline.

Another possibility was that Hampstead was a property associated with the Cocke family of Surry and Fluvanna--the latter being the Bremo plantation. Dudley Ragland was an overseer for the Cockes in this location about the time of these two documents.

My other guess is that Hampstead was a village in Powhatan vs. a property. Either way, I'm at sea as far as just where this was. Can anyone help?

David Fletcher
Richmond, VA

Find a board about a specific topic