Search for content in message boards

Jeffries Family

Replies: 3

Re: Jeffries Family

Posted: 6 Sep 2012 12:41PM GMT
Classification: Will
Surnames: Jeffries
Here is what I have found on Nathaniel Jeffries (I am descended through his daughter Nancy):
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jeffries Family of Buckingham County, VA
Nathaniel Jeffries, w.d. 29 Jun 1793, w.p. 14 Oct 1795, m. Mary (possibly Tate), issue:
William Jeffries
Sally Jeffries d. 10 Aug 1843, Pike Co., KY, m. 16 Apr 1785, Buckingham Co., VA, Pleasant Childress
Jesse Jeffries
Thomas Jeffries
Nathaniel Jeffries
John Jeffries
James Jeffries
Lucy Jeffries m. ---------- Brown
Nancy Jeffries m.b. 6 Feb 1778, Pr.Ed.Co., VA, Nath'l Morris
Mary Jeffries m. ---------- Ackers (maybe m. John Akers)
Susannah Jeffries m. ---------- Harvey

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Nathaniel Jeffries appears on Amelia County, VA tax list for 1750 living w/ Henry Randolph (attached). Possible connection - Amelia Jeffries include Thomas Jeffries - originally name was FitzJeffries - from Essex County?

This will can be found on pages 465 and 466 of "Tylers' Quarterly History"

WILL OF NATHANIEL JEFFRIES
Copied from a copy found in Chancery Court Papers-W. S. Morton)
"In the name of God, Amen. I, Nathaniel Jeffries, of the County of Buckingham, being in sound mind and memory, do make and ordain this to be my last Will and Testament, in the manner and form following, after my just debts being paid:
Imprirnis, I give and bequeath to my son, William Jeffries, 40 acres of land, more or less, adjoining Hooper's Road and line where he now lives, to him and his heirs forever. My will and desire is that he is to enjoy no more part of my land.
Item, I lend to my daughter, Sally Childress, one negro girl named, Ailee, during her natural life, after her decease my desire is the said Ailee and her increase be equally divided among my said daughter, Sally Childress' children. Also I give my said daughter, Sally Childress, one feather bed and furniture, to her and her heirs forever. My will and desire is that she have no more of my estate.
Item, I give to my son, Jesse Jeffries, one negro boy named, David, also one horse colt, also an equal part of the estate I shall leave with his mother, to him and his heirs forever.
Item, I give to my daughter, Mary Ackers, one feather bed and furniture to her and heirs forever, and no other part of my estate.
Item, I give to my daughter, Susannah Harvey, five shillings, and my will is that she have no more of my estate.
Item, I give to my beloved wife, Mary Jeffries, all the rest of my estate, viz.--land, negroes, horses, cattle, household furniture and everything I possess that could be called my estate, during her natural life or widowhood. After her decease, I give and bequeath to my son, John Jeffries, that part of land on Hooper's Road on the North side to Willis Creek.
My will is that all the rest of my land be equally divided between my two sons, namely, James Jeffries and Jesse Jeffries.
My will and desire is that my sons, Thomas Jeffries, and Nathaniel Jeffries, and William Jeffries, John Jeffries, James Jeffries, Jesse Jeffries, Lucy Brown, Nancy Morris. I do appoint my well beloved wife, Mary Jeffries, to be my executrix. My will and desire is that after my beloved wife, Mary Jeffries' decease, that my estate, both real and personal, be equally divided among my aforesaid children, namely, Thomas Jeffries, Nathaniel Jeffries, William Jeffries, John Jeffries, James Jeffries, Jesse Jeffries, Lucy Childress, Nancy Morris.
In testimony and confirmation whereto I have set my hand and seal this 29th. day of June, 1793. Note the interlining was afore it was signed. Nath'l. Jeffries--(Seal)
Signed, sealed and delivered in presence of us: John Redding, Natt Morris, William Jeffries, Jesse Jeffries.
At a Court held for Buckingham County, the 14th. day of October, 1795, This last Will and Testament of Nathaniel Jeffries, dec'd. was proved" &c.

SWEM Library
This document is a key that Alexander Brown made to some sources that he was using in the late 19th century. The current location of many of these sources is unknown. Some of the records were public, some may have been documents that he owned or to which he had access at that time.
The Alexander Brown document has value because it may provide a researcher with a clue to use in his genealogy research but the researcher will need to do his own investigation into extant records.
Since the primary mission of Swem Library is to serve students, faculty, and the academic community, Swem Library does not have staff to conduct genealogical research.
If a researcher would like to come to Swem Library and examine the Alexander Brown Papers they will be made available or if the researcher wishes to hire someone to examine the papers, Swem Library will provide the name of a professional genealogist.
3. some of those who served in the French and Indian War from Albemarle and Bedford
4 and an incomplete list of those who served in the Revolutionary War from Old Amherst
5. together with a list of Autographs written prior to 1800

The Lists are taken from:
1. Dr. Wm Cabell's mem'a books Mss 1726-74
2 . The Entry Book (1735-44 of Col W'm Mayo, Surveyor of Goochland
3. The Entry Books (1744-53) of Col Joshua Fry, Surveyor of Albemarle
4. The Records of Albemarle 1745-48
5. The List of Tithables in the Upper Part of St. Anne's Parich 1745-47
6. The Entry Book (1754-57) of Col. Peter Jefferson, Surveyor of Albemarle
(He has crossed out Col. Peter Jefferson and noted ? who was surveyor of
Albemarle 1757-61?)
7. Notes of surveys by the following assistant surveyors:
Dr. W'm Cabell (1742-54) Col. W'm Cabell (1754) Tho's Jefferson (1751)
Maj'r Cha's Lynch, Daniel Smith (1749) Ambrose Joshua Smith (1747)
John Staples (1755-56) Drury Stith, Thomas Turpin (1748-51)
8. Henings Statutes at Large and other books and articles in print
9. The Entry Books (1761-76) of Col. W'm Cabell, surveyor of Amherst
10. The Records of Amherst
11. Col. W'm Cabell's Diary 1769-95)
12. Capt Nich's Cabell's Muster Rolls 1775-6)
13. Maj'r W'm Cabell's Muster Rolls (1781)
14. A mass of old family Mss, pedigrees, etc,
15. Mss and articles of N.F. Cabell. Esq., Col. Tho's H. Ellis and others

The List contains the following numbers: (This is the way Brown wrote his key)
1. Of those who had interests in Old Albemarle prior to 1761, nearly 2000 and is nearly complete a. a.
2. Of those who came to Old Amherst or became of age between 1761 and 1776, nearly 700 and is nearly complete(prior to 1761 included in #1)b.b.
3. Of those who served in the French and Indian War from Albemarle (Amherst), about 150, incomplete a..st. a..sf.
From Bedford, about 300, incomplete c. st. c. sf..
4. Of those who served in the Revolutionary War from Old Amherst, About 800 incomplete b. sr. b. sr.
5. Autographs prior to 1800, about 550 au. au.
Total number of names in the list - 3822
Note: Names are entered just as A. Brown has on his list. Some of his notations are unclear.
Most can be deciphered from the key above.

Jefferies (alias Jeffs) James a.
" Nathaniel a.
" Thomas a.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mtnlooks 3 Sep 2012 3:48PM GMT 
scraig64 6 Sep 2012 6:41PM GMT 
tunnelm1 23 Sep 2013 1:27PM GMT 
tunnelm1 19 Oct 2013 4:58PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions