Search for content in message boards

Morehorn, Mohorn, Mohern Surname - African American

Replies: 0

Morehorn, Mohorn, Mohern Surname - African American

Posted: 5 Oct 2013 8:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Oct 2013 6:28AM GMT
Surnames: Morehorn, Mohorn, Watson, Watkins, Dupuy, Flournay, Booker,
Seeking information on the ancestry of Steven/Stephen Morehern who filed for divorce from his wife, Ella, citing "willful" abandonment in 1895. Testimony given by witnesses for Morehern indicated that Morehern had been married in Lunenburg County, in or about the year 1870 (testimony of Washington Watkins). A second witness, Sam Watson testified that he had known Steven and Ella Morehern "all my life, we were raised together".

Sam Watson (born abt 1854) and Steven Morehern (born about 1848) were roughly the same age and both married in the 1870s. While Sam Watson appears to have been a long time resident of Prince Edward, I have not been able to find a record of Steve Morehorn living in Prince Edward perhaps because of the highly variable spelling of his last name or being out of the area at the time of the census.

Morehorn, Mohorn, Mahorne appears in Lunenburg County and Prince Edward County. A number of African American families have this surname and appear to have lived, at some point, in Prince Edward and/or Lunenburg Counties.

I do have indirect evidence that Steven Morehorn was living in Prince Edward.He appears to have been the father of two or e three children born in Prince Edward County between 1869 (natural son Robert Dupuy, Emily Dupuy, mother), Walter Morehorn born 1870 (Ella, mother) and Nannie M. Morehorn born in 1873 (Ella, mother). I do not know if Emily Dupuy and "Ella" are the same woman.

Ella Morehorn abandoned (testimony Washington Watkins) abandoned Steven Morehorn in 1890. She was alleged to have moved to Sparrows Point (Baltimore County) Maryland.

Would anyone know if John Morehorn/Mohorn (white) living in Prince Edward County in the 1850s 1860s and later moving to Lunenburg Counties were slave owners? The only Morehorn I found owning slaves was Mrs. Elizabeth Morehorn of Charlotte County. There appear to be a few African-American Morehorn (various spellings) living in Walton, Charlotte County before 1900. There's no clear indication that any of these individuals are related as the recording of their lives is so piecemeal.

Was Steven Morehorn related to Jane Mohern (born abt 1851) in Prince Edward? Jane Mohern was the daughter of Peyton and Tempy Mohern. I have, so far, not been able to find any Peyton and his family in the census records. Jane (or Jennie) was the wife of 1) Henry Walton and 2) Joe Booker.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions