Search for content in message boards

Archibald McRobert, 1790s, Presbyterian minister

Replies: 25

Re: Archibald McRobert, 1790s, Presbyterian minister

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 5:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Dec 2012 5:58PM GMT
Obituary for Theodoric Archibald MCROBERT. It lists his marriage date as 12 Aug 1824; the Alabama marriage records scanned into the internet show the marriage date as 11 Aug 1824, Madison County, Alabama.

McRobert, (Theodoric) Archibald obituary, Enquirer, Richmond, Virginia, 16 Oct 1824, Vol. XXI, Issue 48, page 3
Enquirer. Richmond, Virginia, 16 Oct 1824

Actual text
"Communicated
DIED - At Athens, Alabama, on the 7th (illegible), after an illness of eight days, Col. ARCHIBALD MCROBERT, son of Theodorick B. McRobert, late of Prince Edward county, Virginia.

Col. Archibald McRobert removed to Alabama in the summer of 1819, his honorable and exemplary conduct even secured him the good will and esteem of the most numerous and most respectable of the community. This appears from his being elected by large majorities to offices of high trust in the county in which he resided. He was married on the 12th of Aug last to Miss Maria Blackbourne, whom a gentleman from that county describes as, 'a girl of high respectability and good parentage.'

From a letter written by the Rev. Daniel P. Bestor to the mother of the deceased, we make the following extract, which we doubt not, will prove highly consoling to his numerous friends and connexions in this state - 'On being asked if he was afraid to die, he answered, 'all of us are afraid to die.' I questioned him relative to his belief in Jesus, and he assured me that he did believe in him. On being questioned further he told us that he had a hope of happiness after death. About ten o'clock we thought he was dying. Both he and his wife requested me to pray. Immediately after prayer his countenance seemed more than usually lightened up with expression and joy. He then took hold of his wife and said, 'I'm happy.' I asked him again if he was afraid to die? He answered - 'No.' He then expressed a lively hope of happiness beyond this world.' The letter concludes with the following information - 'I preached his funeral sermon in the court house to a large and attentive audience.'
Col. M. was about 27 years of age. In his death Society has lost both a useful and ornamental member. In his disposition he was tender and affectionate. In his principles he was honourable and disinterested. Long shall it be ere his memory sleeps- Long ere his name be forgotten, or his virtue obilterated."
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
calliopekt1 23 Dec 2012 7:00PM GMT 
morrie77 23 Dec 2012 9:16PM GMT 
calliopekt1 23 Dec 2012 10:19PM GMT 
morrie77 24 Dec 2012 12:44AM GMT 
lbupdike 24 Dec 2012 8:37PM GMT 
calliopekt1 24 Dec 2012 9:11PM GMT 
morrie77 25 Dec 2012 10:47PM GMT 
morrie77 26 Dec 2012 12:15AM GMT 
morrie77 28 Dec 2012 7:49PM GMT 
morrie77 30 Dec 2012 12:57AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions