Search for content in message boards

Deeds recorded after records were burned?

Replies: 4

Re: Deeds recorded after records were burned?

Posted: 11 May 2012 6:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Sure, my ancestor John Jane/Jean lived in Charles City/Prince George. He died prior to 1704, it appears his land went to Philip Jane. He had also sold land to William Wilkins which later his widow (remarried) quit claimed (30 years later)as Eliza Wicket and husband John Wicket. Philip sold 100 acres of the land but still held some of it, it appears. I don't know the actually acreage of Philip's land, as so many early deeds are burned, there isn't a deed showing John receiving this land.

Philip died circa 1719 and then Christopher Jane/Jean appears to have lived on the same land in the early 1730's. There is no deed left that shows how the land was disposed of. There are few records for that time period but a John Jean gave bond for Christopher Jean when he was administrator of an estate. A William Jean was taken into court for killing a gelding, belonging to a neighbor, during the same time. An Eliza Wicket sued a John Jean in court during the same time (all during the 1730's). After that I know nothing of them in Prince George, except that a Francis Jane is on the tax lists in the 1790's but I don't know a thing about that person or if they are connected to the above family. Christopher moved to Surry (became Sussex), then into Northampton NC.

What I'm wondering is if people went in after the fire and refiled deeds, maybe trying to give a chain of ownership. Which I know is a long shot. I have all references to the Jean/Jane family from 1673-1739 that survive.

Since I don't know how the land was passed down or sold or what by Christopher Jean (if he in fact had the land, not John or William), I don't have a clue of what later deeds to look at, but just wondered if people tried to show what land they owned after the records were burned. Since they may have retained their original deeds, did they take them back in? I have found many deeds that for various reason recite a chain of title, so thought this could be one avenue to help those of us who have many questions left by the lack of records in Prince George, early on.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
drnewman6 16 Apr 2012 12:48PM GMT 
treefind4fun 10 May 2012 11:25PM GMT 
ReneeNewman45 11 May 2012 12:28PM GMT 
treefind4fun 11 May 2012 8:19PM GMT 
ReneeNewman45 12 May 2012 3:18PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic