Search for content in message boards

Boydston / Boydstun / Boilston

Replies: 0

Boydston / Boydstun / Boilston

Posted: 7 Jun 2002 3:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Aug 2003 3:09PM GMT
Surnames: Boydston, Boydstun, Boilston
Information with citations/references needed to establish family of William Boilston and son David Boydston of Prince William Co., VA:

William Boilston m. Mary Pres(s)ley
See - http://www.angelfire.com/ms/burroweshome/boydston.html where the children are also given.
Mary:
Surname perhaps Thornton. If Pressley, she is daughter of Peter Presley and Mary Smith - see http://www.angelfire.com/ms/burroweshome/boydston.html in June, 2001.
2 James Boylston b. 1714 Prince William Co., VA
2 David Boydston b. 2-May-1726 Prince William Co., VA d. 3-Aug-1811 TN
m. Mahala Snow m. 1737 Somerset Co., MD b. ca. 1710 d. ca. 1751 Barren Co., KY [her ancestry needed !]
[daughter of Jabez (or Zabez) Snow and Elizabeth Paine?]
m. Sarah Pruitt m. ca. 1752 b. ca. 1735
-------------------

This information was shared by Steve Verden 5/1/2000 via e-mail:

4. David Boydston, b. May 2, 1726 in Prince William Co., VA; d. August 3, 1811 in TN. He was the son of 8. William Boydston and 9. Mary Thornton. He m. 5. Sarah Pruitt Abt. 1752. 5. Sarah Pruitt, b. Abt. 1735; d. _____. She
was the daughter of 10. Sr. Samuel Pruitt and 11. Elizabeth Hawker.

Notes for David Boydston: Boydstun Family reseachers have attributed two marriages to David Boydstun. 1. Mahhala or Mehitable Snow (m. about 1736 per these same reseachers) (DAR Partiot lndex lists David's wife as Mehitable
Snow). Their children: Sabra, Cynthia, _____, Malinda, George b. abt 1737, James b. about 1738, David b. about 1740, and Nancy b. about 1745.

2. Sarah Pruitt, daughter of Samuel Pruitt and Elizabeth Hawker (see his son, James Boydstun Sr.-- did he marry his own aunt or am I impossibly confused?
Their children: Priscilla, Jesse, Lesina, William b. about 1753, and Catherine b. about 1775.

Other researchers reverse the marriages.

I have entered the DAR marriage to Mehitable Snow, although I have also entered the secound marriage to Sarah Pruitt, even though the DAR does not list this marriage. I have attributed the children b. to David Boydstun to the marriage to Mehitable Snow, as DAR lists her death in 1811 in Harwick, MA, and this would accommodate all the children. I do this to try and include the research on later generations done by myself and others. Some may say this is not a correct lineage, and they are probably right, but until I am able to do the research myself, it will have to do. My apologies to Mrs. Weaver and Mrs. Domonoske!

The DAR lineage also included sons Benjamin and Thomas, not listed on several other lists, including that of Mrs. Domonoske.

Another researcher mentions only one marriage to Mahala Snow and the line is limited to this individual's direct line down from David. This same researcher has the following Boydstun line back to the year 1460.

Generation 1. Adam Beiston b. 1460, m._____ Cuthbert Generation 2. Cuthbert
Beiston b. 1494, m. Alice Lacke Generation 3. John Beiston b. 1522, Baildon,
Yorks, d. 1572, md Ellin Bryan Generation 4. William Beiston b. 1550, Kyrk,
Beiston, md Elisabeth Boswell Generation 5. William Beiston b. 1571, Leeds,
Yorkshire, md Mary Browne Generation 6. John Balston b. 1608, Leeds, Yorks,
m. Lidia Elliott Generation 7. Thomas Boydston b. 1634, d. 1719, md Elizabeth
Bennett Generation 8. William Boydston b. 1672, d. 1719 Calvert Co., MD, m.
Mary Thornton Generation 9. Thomas Boydstone b.1693, d. 1766, m. Mahulda Box
Generation 10. David Boydstone b. 1716, d. 1811, m. Mahala Snow

Another attempt to go back on the Bodystun line by Mrs. Gladys Domonoske results in David Boydston (who m. Mahala Snow) the son of William Boydston and his first wife Sabra Polk as follows:

1. Thomas Boydston b. about 1657, Dorchester Co., m. Mahulda Box; children:
a. John b. abt. 1678, md ___ Harkney, 1698; had child William b abt. 1702 *
b. William b. about 1680 Dorchester Co., MD, m. 1) Mary Thornton m. (2) Sabra Polk
c. Elizabeth b. about 1682 m. Thomas Crump 1703, Ann Arnundel Co., MD
d. Dinah b. about 1684 m. John Brewer about 1704, Ann Arnundel Co., MD
e. Jillion b. about 1686, m. Amos Harrison 1703 Talbot Co., MD
f. Grace b. about 1688 m. John Mitchell 1704, Talbot Co., MD
g. Mary b. about 1690 m. Janathan Miller 1708, Talbot Co., MD
h. Jane b. about 1692 m. William Brewster 1716 Prince George Co., MD
i. Thomas b. about 1695 m. Sarah King 1715, Talbot Co., MD 2. William Boydston/ Boylston b. about 1680 Dorchester Co., MD, m. (1) Mary Thornton daughter of William & Jane (Presley) Polk
a. Nancy
b. Jane
c. Presley Thornton b. about 1722 Somerset Co., MD, m. Elizabeth Robertson
d. Elizabeth b. about 1732 m. Thomas Triplett
e. Benjamin b. about 1734, m. Mary Moss * m. (2) Sabra Polk, children:
a. John b. about 1706 Somerset Co., MD, m. _____ Harkney
b. Thomas b. about 1708 Somerset Co., MD, m. (1) Elizabeth Wallace m. (2) Patience Pruitt * c. David b. about 1710 Prince William Co., VA
d. Sabra b. about 1712
e. James b. about 1714
f. William b. about 1716 Somerset Co., MD, m. (1) Margaret Triplett, m. (2) Joanna Austin
g. George b. about 1718
h. Cynthia b. about 1720
------------------------------------------- I have not attempted to enter this line back beyond David in this database because of the numerous conflicts. However, it is said the early line establishes a link to the
Mayflower descendants, and other researchers may wish to take a closer look at the various published sources on this family.
-------------------------------------------- Roster of Texas Daughters of American Revolution Ancestors, 1982:

BOYDSTON, David, b. May 2 , 1726 in Boston, MA, d. August 3, 1811 at Paisley, PA; m. Mehitable Snow about 1745. She was b. April 22, 1731 in Harwick, MA and d. in Harwick on February 23, 1811. Service: Private, Westmoreland Co.,
PA Militia Children:
1. James, b. September 23, 1747, m. Mary Prewett
2. William, b. 1753
3. Thomas
4. Benjamin
5. David, m. Esther Ann Burrius
6. George or Presley

Members Frances Aileen Miller, National Number 417125

Notes for Sarah Pruitt: According to records found by Mrs. Domonoske in Powell Valley, TN, the charter petition for the Davis Creek Baptist Church there dated 1 Oct. 1797 has the name of Sarah Boydstun. Charter members, according to Mrs. Domonoske, give clues for the children of David and Sarah,
including the possibility of Catherine Boydstun and Priscilla Box. Other sons may have been John, Robert, and Thomas Boydstun in the 1810 census records of Logan Co., KY.

There was also a land grant of 640 acres granted to Jesse Boydston in 1783 in Davidson Co., TN. This Jesse was a revolutionary soldierof VA, serving in the 1st VA State Regiment.

Children attributed to Sarah Pruitt by some researchers are:

William, b. March 24, 1853 Jesse, said to be a Revolutionary Patriot of Montgomery Co., VA Lesina Priscilla, who m. John Box Catherine, b. about 1775 and m. James Stewart Warren

children of David Boydston and Mehitable Snow are:

2. i. George Boydstun, b. 1746, date from DAR see notes, d. Nov. 18, 1825, Wooster, Wayne Co., Ohio. 3. ii. David Boydstun Jr., b.
_____, 1740 (see notes); Eastern Shore of MD, d. Feb. 2 1826, Greene Co., PA; buried Mount Morris Cemetery, Perry Township, Greene Co., PA
iii. Sabra Boydstun, birth _____
iv. Malinda Boydstun, birth _____ 4. v. Nancy Boydstun, b. 1745, MD; d. 1824, KY
vi. Mahulda Boydstun, birth _____
vii. Cynthia Boydstun, birth _____ 5. viii. James Boydstun, Sr. b. sep. 23, 1747, Green Co., PA, (see notes); d. feb. 6, 1814, Russellville, Logan Co., KY 6.
ix. William Boydstun, b. March 24, 1753, Fredrick Co., MD; d. Dec. 1838, Buchanan Co., or Clay Co., MO, buried: Faubion Cemetery, Gladstone, Clay Co., MO
x. Benjamin Boydstun, b. about 1755
xi. Thomas Boydstun, b. about 1757 7. xii. Catherine Boydstun, birth _____, VA about (1775?); d. (see notes)

All of the proceeding information was copied from Margaret R. Bates Genealogy site on the Internet, the address for her site is given under sources. It was copied as written, copied on December 12 , 1997.

More About David Boydston: Private/ Westmoreland Co., PA Militia

Find a board about a specific topic