Search for content in message boards

Pre-1799 Virginia Wills

Replies: 37

Re: Pre-1799 Virginia Wills

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 9:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Feb 2013 10:16AM GMT
The house of James Cullins is shown on Col. Bertrand Ewell's 1759 Boundary Survey of Fauquier and Prince William Counties Virginia. James Cullins' house is located barely within the eastern Fauquier County boundary, meaning that before the counties were divided in 1759, he was located within Prince William County. I have a copy of Col. Ewell's map and would be glad to try to take a photo of it and e-mail it to you.

Other neighbors along this boundary line are Simon Bowley, Peter Cornwell, Abraham Dodson, Isaac Cundiff, Joshua Scurlock, Cager (Micajah?) Poole, Thomas Dawkins, Thomas Thornton, Thomas Legg, William Dennis, (Col.) Thomas Harrison, Joseph Kelley, John Fitzhugh (next to James Cullins), Thomas Fitzhugh, Richard Foot, Mrs. Foot, William Foot, and John Catlett.

I don't know if this is the same James Cullins that you are researching, but if it is, I am extremely interested in your line. A little background - my ancestor, Peter Cornwell, born circa 1730s, lived along this boundary, very close to your James Cullins. In 1762, Peter Cornwell was instrumental in establishing one of the first Baptist churches in Virginia, the Broad Run Baptist Church, which was located very close to the Cullins' house. According to various records, interest in the Broad Run Baptist Church quickly grew and during the Revolutionary War, when there were hard feelings towards the Church of England, many in the neighborhood joined this church. The records of the church show that Sarah Cullins joined by 1773. Sarah Cullins is thought to have been the wife of James Cullins who died in 1762 and the daughter of Thomas Thornton and Agatha Curtis. There are various documents that back this theory, see e.g., Estate of James Cullins 1762. James Cullins (Jr.) Executor, Thomas Thornton, Peter Glascock, securities.

My ggg-grandfather, Charles Cornwell born circa 1775 (a relation to Peter - perhaps a grandson), married Elizabeth Thornton born circa 1775-1780. I have been trying to place my Elizabeth Thornton's family. I have also been trying to track the Cullins'family because of their ties to the Thorntons but have not found much about the Cullins other than the information above. My Cornwells moved to Kentucky circa 1804, then to Orange County, Indiana, circa 1814 - 1824. Any information you could provide about the James Cullins family would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I have done an analysis of the Thorntons who belonged to the Broad Run Baptist Church. Perhaps it might be helpful/of interest to you, so I have re-printed it below. I look forward to hearing from you!

This is an analysis of some of the Thorntons, extended members of the Thornton family, and other Thornton relatives, who belonged to the Broad Run Baptist Church. Most of this information was obtained from the internet, but verified as best as possible. The people discussed below are listed according to the date they were first mentioned in the Broad Run Baptist Church Minutes.

1762 - NANCY HOLTZCLAW

Nancy Holsclaw (Holtzclaw) decd. Nancy (a/k/a Ann) Thornton is thought to have been the wife of Henry Holtzclaw. This Ann Thornton was the daughter of Thomas Thornton and Lettice Peyton, daughter of Valentine Peyton. Ann's mother Lettice Peyton Thornton who married second, Chichester Curtis, who joined the Broad Run Baptist Church by 1773.

Henry Holtzclaw (husband of Nancy Thornton) was bc 1711. Family tradition says that he was married three times, the first wife (name unknown) died young, the second a Hardin, and the third Nancy Thornton. According to several genealogy sites, Henry Holtzclaw's first son was named Cornwell Holtzclaw (source of information unknown). If this is true, I wonder then whether his first wife was a Cornwell.

Nancy Thornton Holtzclaw was the mother or step-mother of Duanna Holtzclaw who married Jarvis Cornwell, s/o Peter Cornwell. Nancy Thornton Holtzclaw was also the mother or step-mother of Winnie Holtzclaw who married Col. "Indian Bill" Hardin who moved to Kentucky in 1780.

1763 - JOHN METCALF

John Metcalf married Rhoda Dent d/o Robert Dent of Maryland. Rhoda Dent had 3 illegitimate children by Elijah Chinn, who was the illegitimate s/o Rawleigh Chinn and his mistress Margaret Ball Downman (widow), who was a cousin to Rawleigh Chinn's wife, Esther Ball, who was half sister to Mary Ball, mother of President George Washington. Elijah Chinn was the half-brother of Chichester Chinn who married Agatha Thornton d/o Thomas Thornton and Lettice Peyton who m. second Chichester Curtis.

1768 - WILLIAM HUNTON AND WIFE JUDITH KIRK HUNTON

William Hunton and his wife, Judith Kirk Hunton joined the Church in 1768 and William became a Deacon in 1769. His sister was Frances Hunton who married William H. Hampton and whose daughter, Elizabeth Cary Hampton, married Thomas P. Thornton the s/o Charles Thornton and Mary Ann Gallahue. Charles Thornton was the w/o Thomas Thornton and Lettice Peyton. William Hunton was one of the administrator's of Peter Cornwell's will in 1776.

A son of William Hampton and Frances Hunton, James, married Susan Peyton d/o Henry Peyton bc 1765 and Elizabeth Bronaugh 1764-1824, a descendant of George Mason of Gunston Hall. A s/o of Henry Peyton and Elizabeth Bronaugh, Henry Peyton m. Sarah Grigsby in 1818. William Grigsby born 1792 married Anna Cornwell.

1772 - CHICHESTER CURTIS

Chichester Curtis m. Lettice Peyton Thornton, widow of Thomas Thornton, discussed above. Siblings of Thomas Thornton were Ann Thornton Holtzclaw, Timothy Thornton, John Thornton, Elizabeth Thornton, Agatha Thornton and likely Sarah Thornton who married James Cullins.

1773 - SARAH CULLINS

This is likely Sarah Thornton Cullins d/o Thomas Thornton and Agatha Curtis. Various documents indicate this Sarah was the d/o Thomas, see, e.g., Estate of James Cullins 1762. James Cullins (Jr.) Executor, Thomas Thornton, Peter Glascock, securities.

THE THORNTONS IN CHART FORM

Dr. Thomas Thornton c. 1685-1741 m. Agatha Curtis 1692-1755 (will proved by Tho. Thornton (son), Henry Holtzclaw (son-in-law), and John Brown.

Children:
1. Elizabeth Thornton
2. Agatha Thornton
3. Ann (Nancy) Thornton (m. Henry Holtzclaw) son Cornwell Holtzclaw, daughter Duannah Holtzclaw married Jarvis Cornwell
4. Timothy Thornton
5. John Thornton
6. Thomas Thornton 1709-1767 m. Lettice Peyton d/o Henry Peyton, Lettice Peyton Thornton m. 2. Chichester Curtis
7. Sarah Thornton m. James Cullins

Children of Thomas Thornton and Lettice Peyton Thornton
1. Charles Thornton bc 1737 m. Mary Ann Gallahue
son Thomas P. Thornton m. Elizabeth Carey Hampton, niece of William Hunton
2. Thomas Thornton bc 1737 m. Mary Ann Ewell d/o Col. Bertrand Ewell
3. Timothy Thornton bc 1739
4. John Thornton bc 1740
5. Agatha Thornton bc 1744 m. Henry Peyton bc 1730
6. Elizabeth Thornton bc 1744,

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
VAHutchinson 5 Oct 2010 3:49PM GMT 
elainecrocket... 5 Oct 2010 7:19PM GMT 
eirelass 8 Apr 2010 3:08AM GMT 
elainecrocket... 29 Sep 2010 8:47PM GMT 
donna_cullins... 17 Feb 2013 2:01PM GMT 
elainecrocket... 17 Feb 2013 4:26PM GMT 
MaryHelenAski... 24 Jun 2010 2:27PM GMT 
Hamilton01026... 25 Jun 2010 2:37AM GMT 
MaryHelenAski... 28 Jun 2010 12:57PM GMT 
Hamilton01026... 2 Sep 2010 2:46AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions