Search for content in message boards

Joshua Taylor's parents

Replies: 0

Joshua Taylor's parents

Posted: 18 Aug 2013 1:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Taylor Wise
I am looking for records of the parents of Joshua Taylor, who lived in Prince William county. He was married to Artemisia Cornwall, and was father to Martha, Virginia, Ann, Caroline, James, John, Artemisia, and Mary.

Joshua Taylor was born August 20, 1793. While I have been able to verify the year, I don't know where the date came from. Later census records note that he was born in Maryland, or D.C. Is there some record of his birth?

There are some family trees that indicate his father was James Taylor, who died in 1800. I have not been able to find records for this James Taylor. The same tree reports that his mother was Rebecca Wise. This would explain why his daughter Mary's middle name is Wise. While it makes senses, I've been unable to locate any records. It is unattributed that Rebecca Wise was born about 1775 and died in 1824 in Alexandria. After James Taylor died, she married Thomas Silence and then David Hodgkin. I was able to find a Joshua Taylor in Alexandria in the 1820 Census. The problem is that this name appears again in 1830 in Alexandria while Joshua Taylor of PWC is in the 1830 Census in PWC. This makes me believe that this is a different Joshua Taylor.

The earliest records that I can find of Joshua Taylor are his marriage record in D.C. in 1817, an election poll in 1822 in PWC and a land purchase of land adjoining his land in 1824. The land purchase points indicates that he held land in PWC earlier than 1824.

I have not been able to find Joshua Taylor in the Taylor DNA research, so either everyone has been able to push back to an older ancestor, or no one has contributed DNA from this Taylor line. Does anyone know how what branch Joshua Taylor is on from the many Taylor groups in America?

I also have a note that Joshua Taylor may have had a sister named Clarissa or Clara born in 1797 in St Mary's County, Maryland. I don't know why I recorded this note.

I would appreciate any help with links to James Taylor and Rebecca Wise or other information on the the early life of Joshua Taylor.

Thanks,
Bob

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions