Search for content in message boards

obit of William C. GILMORE - died 1890

Replies: 2

obit of William C. GILMORE - died 1890

Posted: 7 Jun 2009 11:19AM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: GILMORE
A friend sent this obit of William C. GILMORE to me. He's not part of my GILMORE family, but maybe he's part of yours. I capitalized all letters in each surname, so they are easier to find in the text.

Sandy
TracingMyRoots@hotmail.com

- - - - - - - - -
Obit of William C. GILMORE – from a Rockbridge Co, VA newspaper, but my firend who sent this obit didn't say which newspaper. If you want the source, call the Rockbridge Co. Public Library and ask them which newspaper published this obit. – published March 20, 1890
- - - - - - - - -

Death of Capt Gilmore

Captain William C. GILMORE, whose extreme illness we noticed two weeks ago, died in Augusta County on last Saturday. Had he lived to the 5th of June 1890, he would have reached the ripe age of 78 years. He was a native of Kerr’s Creek in this county (Rockbridge), and lived until a few years ago in the old Gilmore homestead now occupied by Dr. HILEMAN. His family belonged to the first settlers of this section and was one of the very oldest of the county. His grandfather, Thomas GILMORE, together with a number of his family were killed in one of the famous Indian massacres on Kerr’s Creek, one hundred and twenty-five years ago. His grandmother and his father, John GILMORE, and his two sisters of the latter, were taken captive by the Indians at the time and held them for a number of years. John GILMORE and his mother were ransomed, but the other captives were never afterwards heard from.

Capt. W. C. GILMORE held a high position both in the community and in the church of his choice. He was for a number of years one of the leading magistrates of the county, when the County Court was composed of these men. He was an elder in the New Monmouth Presbyterian church up to the time of his departure from the county. In all these positions he had the love and confidence of the people among whom he lived. His remains were brought to Rockbridge and buried at New Monmouth church on Monday. Rev. D. A. PENIK, Pastor of the church conducted the services, and the officers of the church acted as pall-bearers on the occasion.

The children who survive him are Samuel D. GILMORE, Esq., of Lexington, Rev. J. Harvey GILMORE of Martinsburg, W.Va., Mrs. HILEMEN, wife of Dr. HILEMAN, of this county, and Mrs. TRIBBETT, wife of Mr. P. TRIBBETT of Augusta.
- - - - - - - - - - -
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
TracingMyRoot... 7 Jun 2009 5:19PM GMT 
qvarizona 7 Jun 2009 8:15PM GMT 
Stephen Betts 31 Dec 2012 1:57AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions