Search for content in message boards

A house that once was or still is?

Replies: 3

Re: A house that once was or still is?

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 2:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Feb 2013 2:40PM GMT
http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/map_item.pl This is a Civil War map of Rockbridge Co. Va. It would be a few years after the time of John Moffett but I do find Dryden on the map which might be a guide to location. You will find Falling Sprg. Church on Buffalo Creek where Rev. Junkin, the minister is listed. The Buffalo Forge wouldn't be the one you are seeking because it was sold by a Wilson to a Weaver in the 1820-1830's. It still stands today but the info on the house doesn't fit yours. Rockbridge Co. currently does not have a Moffet's Lane and the present church is a mile from the first church. I did find the Moffets in the present cemetery. There are several mills listed but I only know of one forge which is Buffalo Forge.
You can google this on the National Register and all related names/dates are listed.
There are several Grigsby properties in that area in which the Grigsby daughters lived when they married.
PS The link is not working. Google Civil War Maps of Jedediah Hotchkiss and it should give you Library of Congress Memory site for maps. Enter Rockbridge Co. and choose the one with 186? . You will have to use the zoom in and guide to pinpoint Buffalo Creek area.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Suzanne Frant... 31 Jan 2013 7:21PM GMT 
JudyWisehart 31 Jan 2013 9:43PM GMT 
beebye 31 Jan 2013 10:10PM GMT 
mrgca1 3 Feb 2013 9:20PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic