Search for content in message boards

Alexander Ritchie Jr.

Replies: 3

Alexander Ritchie Jr.

Posted: 21 Jun 2008 1:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Below is a hurried attempt at transcription of a FEW of the 91 pages of documents in the Rev War file of Alexander Ritchie Jr. at Footnote
In his declaration(s) he tells about the death & burial of the Phillips family, where forts were located, how “spying” was done, where Joseph Martain came from, and more.
Please excuse the typos, and please do NOT consider this a word for word copy as I’m sure I’ve made errors. A nice bit of history….
Marlene

Service VA
Ritchie, Alexander
Number R8784
Indian War 1786

State of Tennessee
Claiborne County

This day being the 21st day of April 1835 personally appeared in open court the same being a court of record before the judge who holds the same for said county
Alexander Ritchie Jnr aged about 71 years who being first duly sworn according to law doth on his oath make the following declaration in order to obtain the benefit of an Act of Congress passed June 7, 1832
He states that he entered the service of the United States under the following named officers and served as herein stated
That in the year of 1776 he resided in the county of Montgomery and the state of Virginia and in what is now called Scott County in said state
and that he belonged to a fort called Blackmore
and in the month of May and said year this applicant volunteered his services in the army of the United States for the term of six months under Capt. Joseph Martain
which said officer this applicant understood was sent out from Henry county in Virginia to guard the frontiers
and this applicant further states that shortly after he volunteered his services that Capt. Joseph Martain marched as he understood against the Cherokees under Col. Christie and left Evan Shelby who was a Lieu't in the command of the fort
And we ranged the county as Indian spies until my term of service expired and were stationed at the fort
And I then retired
And this applicant begs leave further to represent to the department that he still lived in said county
and in the month of April in the year of 1777 that he again volunteered his services in the army of the United States for the term of six months under Capt. James Gipson who then commanded the fort at Blackmore's station and also the fort in the Rye Cove
And that this applicant was stationed Blackmore's fort and we ranged the county as Indian spies until my term of service had expired
and I rec'd my discharge from Capt. James Gipson which said discharge I have lost or mislaid so that I cannot produce the same
And this applicant begs leave further to state to the department that he still resided in said county
and that in month of April in the year of 1778 that he again volunteered his services in the army of the United States for the term of six months under the same Capt. James Gipson
And that this applicant was again stationed at Blackmore station and that they ranged the country as Indian spies until my term of service expired
And that I again rec'd my discharge from Capt. Gipson which I have lost or mislaid so that I cannot produce the same.
And this applicant begs leave further to state to the department that sometime in November in the 1778 after the expiration of the last above described term of service of this applicant
that this applicant moved with his father Alexander Ritchie Sr to his farm and this applicant lived with his father until the 11th day of March 1779
And information came that the Indians had killed a family of the Phillips and eight of them in number
This applicant father then moved immediately to Duncan's fort at the ford of Clinch River
And this applicant also accompanied him and that this applicant together with others brought the dead down the river and buried them at the burying ground at the fort
And this applicant further states that about the 1st of April next in spring that he again volunteered his services for the term of six months in the army of the United States under Capt. Snody who had the command of Duncan's fort on Clinch River, William Cowen's fort in Castlewoods, David Cowen's fort in the same neighborhood and William Moore's fort near Castle Run
And the applicant states that he was stationed at Duncan's fort and that they ranged all the county from one fort to the other as Indian spies and after his term of service had expired I received my discharge which I have lost or mislaid so that I cannot produce the same.
And this applicant begs leave further to state to the department that he still lived with his father in Duncan's fort during the hard winter of 1780
And in the month of March of said year that they were again alarmed by the tracking out of the Indians who came near the fort and killed M______family
At about the 1st of April this applicant volunteered his services in the army of the United States for the term of six months under Capt. John Snody
And this applicant further states that Capt. Snody commanded all the fort's as afor described
And that this applicant was stationed at Duncan's fort and that they ranged all the county as Indian spies as above described until my term of service expired and I received my discharge from Capt. Snoddy which said this charge I have lost or mislaid so that I cannot produce the same
This applicant states that he did serve in the army of the United States for the term of two years and six months
He states he has no documentary evidence of his services nor does he know of any living testimony by whom he can prove the same his services by but the deposition of Elisha Wallen, who may prove 12 months of his services which said deposition he prays may be taken as evidence in his application for a pension
He hereby relinquishes every claim to a pension or to annuity, except the present and declares that his name is not on the pension roll of any state whatsoever
Where and in what year were you born
Answer-I was born in the year of Christ 1764, June 29 day and said year
Have you any record of your age and if so where is it
Answer-I have the record of my age at home given to me by my father
Where were you living when you were called into service
Answer-I was living in the western part of Virginia now I think Scott county
Were you drafted were you a volunteer or were you a substitute and if a substitute for whom
Answer-I was a volunteer
State the names of some of the officers of the regular troops and of the military troops
Answer- I enlisted under Capt. Joseph Martin and volunteered under him who was afterward made Gen'l Martin
I know him well and Capt. James Gibson who was a military Capt., I knew Capt. John Snoddy and many others
Did you ever receive discharges
Answer-I was legally discharged, and my father drew my pay as I was under age, which said discharges I am unable to produce.
State the names of some of your neighbors by whom you can prove your character and your services as a soldier in the Revolution
Answer- John Hunt, William Graham, Col. William Houston, Dr. William Rogers and many others
Alexr Ritchir Junr
Sworn to in open court April 21, 1835
FS Hunt clk

I, William Rogers, one of the clergyman of the Methodist church do under oath state that I am well acquainted with Alexander Ritchie who is making this application for pension,
and that I believe him to be the years of age which he states,
and that it is reputed and believed in the neighborhood where he lives that he was a soldier of the Revolutionary War -and that I concur in that opinion
Wm Rogers
Sworn to in open court
21st April 1835
FS Hunt clk

I, John Hunt, high sheriff of Claiborne county do on oath state to I am well acquainted with Alexander Ritchie who is making this application for a pension and I believe him to be the years of age that he states and it is reputed and believed in the neighborhood where he resides that he was a soldier of the Revolutionary War and that I concur in that opinion
John Hunt sheriff
Sworn to in open court
April 21, 1835
FS Hunt clk

And the said court does hereby declare its opinion that after the investigation of the matter and after putting the interrogatories prescribed by the War Department that said applicant was a soldier of the Revolutionary War and served as he states
and the said court also states that it appears to it that Williams Rogers who has signed the preceding certificate is a clergyman, resident in said county, and John Hunt, who also signed the certificate is a citizen resident in said county and that their statements are entitled to credit
S Perry
Judge of sd court

State of Tennessee
Claiborne County
April term 1835
I, F___ S. Hunt, clerk of the circuit court of Claiborne County in the state of Tennessee do hereby certify that the within and forgoing contains a true account of the proceedings had in our said court at April term 1835 in the matter of the application of Alexander Ritchie to the United States for a pension
In testimony where of I now hereunto set my hand in affixed the public seal of my office the of office in Tazewell this 25th day of April 1835
FS Hunt clk

October 27, 1939
BA-J/MCS
Alexander Ritchie, R. 8784
Mr. HT Tate
Room 200, Treasury Annex #1
Treasury Department
Washington, DC
Dear Sir:
Reference is made to your request for information relative to the Revolutionary War Soldier, Alexander Ritchie, who applied for pension April 21, 1835, while living in Claiborne County Tennessee.
Alexander Ritchie, the son of Alexander, was born June 29, 1762 or 1764 (both dates are shown), in Prince Edward County Virginia, and moved with his father (year not stated) to what was then Botetourt County, Virginia, later Washington and Russell Counties Virginia. The soldier stated that during the Revolution, the Indians became troublesome and his father moved from his plantation to Duncan's or Dunkin's Fort at the ford on Clinch River.
While residing in Montgomery or in Russell County Virginia, Alexander Ritchie, Jr., volunteered in May 1776, and served until sometime in 1782 on short tours on the frontiers of Virginia, amounting to two years and six months in all, as an Indian spy and a ranger for the protection of the inhabitants, under the following Virginia officers: Captains Joseph Martin, James Gipson, Elliott and John Snoddy, and Colonels Christie or Christian, John Montgomery, Henry Smith and Evan Shelby. He stated that after this service he was engaged in making excursions against the Indians until 1787 or 1788 and was under Colonel Sevier.
After the Revolution, he resided in Russell County, Virginia, for about 17 years, then moved to -----(not legible) and lived four years; from there to Powell's Valley, near Cumberland Gap and lived four years; from there he moved to Claiborne County Tennessee.
Alexander Ritchie applied for pension April 21, 1835 while living in Claiborne County Tennessee. His claim was not allowed as the kind of service that he rendered was not provided for in the Act of Congress under which he applied.
The reference to the soldier's father is the only family that I've found in the papers of the pension claim of Alexander Ritchie, Junior.
Very truly yours
A.D. Hiller
Executive Assistant
To the Administrator

Depositions of Wm Condray & Elisha Wallen in support of the claim of Alexander Ritchie for a pension as an Indian spy & militia services on the frontier of Virginia

State of Tennessee
Claiborne County
Be it known that on this fifth day of August 1839 personally appeared before me Peter Niel a justice of the peace for the said County
Wm Condray a resident of said County first being duly sworn according to law on the Holy Evangelist of Almighty God to speak the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth
touching the matter of the case of Alexander Ritchie for a pension on account of his services as an Indian spy and other services from the latter part of the year 1776 to until 1781 on the frontiers of the state of Virginia deposeth and sayeth as follows viz;
That he is eighty four or five years of age and he knows that the Christian campaign was ordered out against the Indians by the order of the Governor of Virginia
I was under Captain Joseph Martin and I know the fort's soldiers and spies was continued on until the close of the war under the orders of the Governor as I then understood;
I was engaged most of my time in packing provisions and carrying expresses from the Rye Cove to the Long Island on Holstein river; and on to Henry County Virginia on the whole frontier
I was acquainted with Mr Richies services
Question 1-who commanded the expedition at the Long Islands and whether the horses was not prep'd by law and whether or not the horses was not branded with the brand of 1776; and state whether you did not get your pay from the government paymaster
Answer - Wm Christian commanded; the horses was pep'd and called public horses and branded 1776 and when the year 1777 entered they were branded with the year;
and I drew my pay from Captain Joseph Martin as a soldier ___
Who was the gov't paymaster for his company;
I do not know who was gen a master at that time;
to the Holstein River at the Long Islands was under the gov't of Virginia and 1779 the state line was run and the Long Island fell into the North Carolina side
I know Col Arthur Campbell read the Governor's orders when we were called out and I always understood that all the campaigns was by the laws of Virginia and I know the facts and further this deponant sayeth not
Sworn and subscribed this day and year first above written
William Condray his mark
I, Peter Neil, one of the justices of the peace for the county of Claiborne and the state aforesaid do certify that the foregoing deposition of Wm Condray was taken down in my presence according to the laws of this state in the acts and resolves of Congress sworn and subscribed
to my presence and I do further certify that Wm Condray the deponant is a man of first integrity and full faith and credit is due to his statements on oath given under my hand and seal this day and year first above written
Peter Neil
Justice of the peace for Claiborne County

State of Tennessee
Claiborne County
I, William Neil, clerk of the county court of Claiborne & state aforesaid do certify that Peter Niel, whose name appears to the certificate annexed to the within and forgoing deposition of
Wm Condray and also to the certificates annexed to the deposition of Elisha Wallen which is hereunto affixed he is now and was at the time of signing the same an acting justice of the peace duly commissioned and sworn according to the laws of this state and his signature is in his own hand writing and full faith and credit should be given to all his official acts as such
In testimony whereof I have here unto set my hand and seal of office at office in Tazewell this sixth day of August 1839
William Niel clerk
By B__________ his deputy

State of Tennessee
Claiborne county
Be it known that on this fifth day of August 1839 personally appeared before me, Peter Neil, a justice of the peace for said county,
Elisha Wallen, a resident of said county first being duly sworn on the Holy Evangelist of Almighty God to speak the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth; according to law touching the matter of the case of Alexander Richie for a pension on account of his services during the Revolutionary War as an Indian spy and other services from the early part of the year 1776 until the year 1781 on the frontier of the state of Virginia deposeth and sayeth as follows to wit
That he is now in his 76th or 77th year of age and says he was acquainted with Alexander Richie soon after said Richie was enrolled in the frontier service of Virginia under Captain James Gibson both as a spy and soldier for the four following years & have been acquainted with him ever since and we served as spies at the same time six months in as a soldier and six months out as a spy for the four years after the early part of the year 1777
As to the service under Captain Joseph Martin and what was called Christie's Campaign in 1776 I did not know of my own knowledge but have no doubt of the fact upon report
Question 1- Mr Wallen please to state whether Col. Arthur Campbell did not call out and organize the troops for this service under the order of Governor Henry and Jefferson after Governor Henry's time was out and whether you do not get your rations and supplies from a quartermaster & commissaries under the laws of Virginia
Answer-I know that our rations and supplies was all supplied by the authority of the state of Virginia and we received pay for the provision that we killed as game & otherwise ___the paymaster sent out for that purpose; and I am also sure that Col Campbell received his orders from the Governor and we was paid off in continental money at the time
that is what pay we got a run two or three draughts or calls, by him and Col Smith
they read the Governor's orders I know these facts
Question 2 -was it not understood during the whole of the service as spies & soldiers that the appointment of the spies was by the order of the Col commandant and was not the draughts, and calls on all the frontier counties were meant to guard the frontiers by the orders of the Governor to the Cols of the regiment and did not Mr Richie serve accordingly
Answer -he did for a I served with him and there was no other understanding but that the call was by the Governor of Virginia and by law to save the frontier
Further this deponant sayeth not
Sworn and subscribed
This day and year first above written
Elisha Wallen his mark
Peter Neil, one of the justices of the peace for Claiborne County & state aforesaid to certify that the foregoing deposition of Elisha Wallen was taken down in my presence according to the laws of this state and the acts and resolves of Congress sworn and subscribed to
And I do further certify that Elisha Wallen is a man of first respectability and full faith and credit is due to his statements on oath given under my hand and seal this day and year first above written
Peter Neil
Justice of the peace for Claiborne County

May 2, 1844
Pen off
May 2nd 44
Sir
In answer to your inquiry I have the honor to enclose you a copy of my letter to
Hon T J Campbell of 28 July '41 which will apprise you of the state and condition of the claims of Elisha Wallen & Alexander Ritchie-
If you wish to have the papers laid before Congress you can obtain them by giving a rec't for them
W.T. Senter
HR

This is to certify that I have been acquainted with Alexander Ritchie of Claiborne county Tennessee who is the same person I am informed is applying for a pension as a revolutionary soldier for at least 40 years
That he has uniformly sustain the character of one honest man of good soldier in service of our frontier and for veracity his statements are entitled to full credit
Given under my hand this 26th April 1836
John Cocke
The state of Tennessee
Claiborne county
Be at remembered that and a circuit court of law continued and held for the county aforesaid in the state aforesaid by and before the Hon Samuel Powell, judge assigned and commissioned to hold said court, and the said court being a court of record and having the power of fine and imprisonment came into court John Cocke Esqr who being duly sworn upon the holy evangelists of almighty god deposeth and sayeth that the subscriber the foregoing certificate and that the matters and things stated and said certificate are true
In testimony where of I, Lewis A. Garrett, clerk of said court have here unto set my hand and seal of office at office in Tazewell the 26th date of April 1836
Lewis A Garrett clerk

I hereby certify that I became acquainted with Alexander Richie of Claiborne county Tennessee in the year 1803 or 1804
I have known him intimately ever since
That during that time Mr. Richie has lived without reproach as far as has come to my knowledge
I would place complete confidence in anything he would say or swear to
From his wrath city of character I have no doubt the facts stated by him in his declaration relative to his services in the army during are revolutionary war are substantially correct
John Williams
April 26, 1836

Tazewell Ten
25th of January 1839
Dear sir
I enclose to you and the department the declaration of Mr. Alexander Richie in the testimony annexed as early an examination as practice a bowl; please and for me other result at a proper time and if allowed the certificate and much obliged your humble servant
Alfred Noel

Tazewell E. Ten
August 11, 1839
Dear sir
I enclose to you the depositions of Elisha Wallen and Wm Condray in support of the claim of Alexander Richie for pension on account of the services as an Indian spy and other militia or volunteer services on the frontier of Virginia
The testimony I think is ample in proof of the point requiring that he was called out and kept in service as a spy and other services under the authority of the state of Virginia
As soon as practice Sybil I would be glad to hear a result of your decision
Very respectfully your obedient servant
Alfred Noel
T.L. Edwards Esq
Commissioner of pensions
City of Washington

War Dept Pen Office
Oct 1 1839
Sir
The additional testimony in the case of Alexander Ritchie has been ex'd & filed with his other papers
The testimony is not sufficient
If the state of Virginia authorizes such services on the frontier exposed to the hostile incursions of the Indians a case of the law should be exhibited
Alfred Noel
Tazewell Ten

State of Tennessee
Grainger County
It known that on the 22nd day of March 1841 personally appeared before me Jesse Beeler one of the justices of the peace for said county
Wm Steward formerly of Scott county and state of Virginia now of Polk county state of Missouri who being duly sworn on the Holy ____of Almighty God and ____by me to speak the truth and nothing but the truth touching the matter of the services of Alexander Richie and the time of the Revolutionary War on the frontier of Virginia under the authority of the state of Virginia and North Carolina deposeth and sayeth as follows viz
That he is about eighty three or four years of age
That in the year 1776 he entered the service under Captain Joseph Martin with many other companies commanded by Col Christie or Christian;
That Alexander Richie entered at the same time in the same company for six months to go against the Cherokee Indians & Shawnees
Dragging Canoe was the War Chief of the Indians
Richie was on tour I think detailed for one of the fort's perhaps Blackamore's;
With many others left from the fort mentioned to Long Island and in Holstein River
The tour was served out and then Richie took the place of a spy and so continued as a spy and soldier every year until 1781 on this line at different times under different officers
Captain James Gibson and Captain Elliott chiefly commanded by Gen'l Arthur Campbell, Col Smith, Col John Montgomery, Col Evan Shelby, Col Christian
I was part of the time orderly seargent and know he served at least six months as a soldier and the balance of his time was engaged as a spy;
I have looked over his amended declaration of this state and it is generally true besides many particulars from age has slipt my memory as well as his
Question 1- Wm Steward please state whether the Alexander Richie now before you and present is the same that served with you on the frontiers of Virginia
Answer- he is the same and I know he served as he states in his amended declaration and on from 1776 to 1781 as stated above
Ques 2-please state if it was by authority of law that the service was done
Answer-I know it was by order of the Governor for I had brought out the orders myself from
Governor Jefferson
Further this deponant sayeth not
Wm Steward
State of Tennessee
Grainger County
And I, Jesse F Beeler, one of the justices of the peace for said county do certify that this foregoing deposition of William Steward was taken down in due form of law according to the rules of the War Department in the acts of Congress as well as the laws of the state
Sworn and subscribed in my presence and I do further certify that the deponant William Steward is a man of good moral character and full faith and confidence should be placed in any statement he should make on oath
Given under my hand and seal this 22nd day of March 1841
Jessee F Beeler
Justice of the peace for Grainger County

State of Tennessee
Claiborne County
This day personally appeared before me Benjamin Sewell, one of the acting justices of the peace who holds the court of pleas on and for the said county the same being a court of record
Elisha Wallen aged about 72 years who being first duly sworn on the Holy Evangelist of Almighty God states as follows
That he is well acquainted with Alexander Ritchie Jnr who is making an application for pension
And in the spring of the year 1777 and in the month of April and said year I became acquainted with him in the county of Washington and the state of Virginia at Blakemore station or fort
And I know that the said Richie did serve with me under Capt James Gipson who commanded that fort
And he also commanded the fort to which I belonged which was the fort in the Rye Cove in said county which was about seven miles apart
And I know that we were commanded by the said Capt Gipson for the term of five years but during the winters of the said five years we were permitted to go home to our own familys which would leave but twelve months of actual service
And this affiant further states that during the term of his services with the applicant that they had many hardships after the Indians through the mountains and notwithstanding all the energy of Capt Gipsons and his troops under his command that the Indians killed many of our citizens
And this affiant states that there was none more intrepid in the defense of the west and its frontiers than Alexander Ritchie, the present applicant for he is now present and I know him to be the same
Elisha Wallen his mark
Sworn to an subscribed to before me this 10th day of April 1835
Benjamin Sewell
Justice of the peace
State of Tennessee
Claiborne county
This day personally appeared before me Benjamin Sewell one of the acting justices of the peace in and for the county aforesaid
Peter Markham and Samuel Wilson, two resident citizens of said County and made oath that the above named affiant is a man of good reputation and moral character and that faith ought to be paid to oath as such
Peter Marcum
Samuel Wilson
Sworn and subscribed to be for me this 10th day of April 1835
Benjamin Sewell
Justice of the peace

State of Tennessee
Claiborne County
On this 24th day of January AD 1839 personally before me John Hunter a justice of the peace of and and for said county and state aforesaid
Elisha Wallen who being first duly sworn on the Holy Evangelist of Almighty God to speak the truth and nothing but the truth and the matter of the application of Alexander Richie for a pension as an Indian spy and soldier of the Revolution under the law of the United States passed June 7, 1832 deposeth and sayeth as follows viz
That as well as he recollects that himself & Alexander Ritchie an applicant for pension with many others was organized in a company of militia volunteers in what was then Washington County and state of Virginia under Capt James Gibson of the said County by the order of Col Arthur Campbell was after Genl Campbell and ordered out to the frontiers along a line of forts from Blackmore's fort and what was then called Cassles Woods now Russell County to Martins station in Powells Valley
We entered the service about the 1st of April 1777 and served a tour of six months ending the 1st of October of the same year
About the 1st of April following and 1778 we entered the service again under our same captain and served another six months to or ending in October of the same year
And in the spring following about the first of April 1779 entered the service again
Alexander Ritchie was in the company of captn ______and I was in the company of Capt Wm Elliott but in the same line of service and Col Montgomery was the Col commandant, Col Campbell was now Gen'l Campbell
And we served this tour ending in October of the same year to wit 1779
And in the spring of 1780 about the 1st of April we entered the services again and served another tour under our same captains to wit Cap't Elliott beginning the 1st of April to wit and 1780 and ending in October of the same year and served our times according to the service calls as mentioned above
And Alexander Richie and myself was the regular spies and our duty was to go out some 15 or 20 miles and around and watch the motions of the Indians at the several passes in the gaps of the mountains and give notice of the same
And the six months between the tours for six months in each of the years named we was engaged as a spy by orders of the commanders
And was engaged only as a spy and soldier for the for years named from 1777 in April to 1780 in the in October of this year last mentioned
Ques 1-how old are you and how old do you believe Alexander Ritchie the declarant to be
Answer- I am about seventy five years old and he is about the same age
Question 2-as you know that the Alexander Ritchie the present declarant is the same that served with you
Answer-he is the identical same man
I have been acquainted with him ever since
Question 3-Mr. Wallen please to name the line of forts and stations that you and your contemporaries were engaged at and whether you was called out by law
Answer-we was organized by law and by the order of the officers named and was divided out along the line of the following named forts to wit
Blackamore's fort, Rye Cove, Rocky station, Stock Creek, Duncan fort, Osmans fort, and divided out from that of a captain's company to that of a sergeant's command as the nature of this service required and engaged on frequent excursions against the Shawnees & Cherokee Indians during our services
Question 4th-Mr. Wallen have you or have you not reasons to believe that the said Alexander Ritchie served as stated in his declaration to other tours of duty in the frontier services if so please state
Answer-I have heard he served the other two tours but I was not engaged with him then but from report then and always after I have no he served them and know him to be a faithful soldier through the campaign that I was engaged with him and further this deponent sayeth not
Sworn and subscribed this day and year first written
Elisha Wallen his mark

State of Tennessee
Grainger county
This 22nd day of March 1841 Alexander Ritchie a resident of Claiborne County state aforesaid personally appeared before me Jesse F Beeler a justice of the peace for the county and made oath in due form of law that the facts contained in the following amended declaration for pension are true viz
He states that he entered the service under Col Christie in the year 1776 under Captain Joseph Martin formerly from Henry County state of Virginia
Was enlisted in Washington County this tour of six months service was under the authority of the state of Virginia and the state of North Carolina and served my tour out and another fact there was an agreement between Col Christian and the Cherokees that a treaty of peace should be made the spring following
But the leading chief Dragging Canoe and under the influence of Cameron the British agent kept up their warfare in small parties and was constantly killing more or less of the white people which rendered it necessary to keep up the line of forts all along the frontier
And spies where they were not embodied and regular spies was appointed myself and Elisha Wallen was to that reconnoitered from Blackmores fort Cassle Woods and on to the Clinch & Holstein runs in 1778 the whole frontier was harassed by Draging Canoe and his party and we was again called out in the spring of this year for a six months tour and served it and took the appointment of the office again until the breaking up of winter and 1779 I was then under Col ____________of 12 months men;
Dragging Canoe having increased his strength to 12 or 1300 men was doing mischief all along the line from Georgia to the state of Pennsylvania
This tour of service I had forgotten that it was more than six months as we was only ____in actual service only six months but we now took the place of spies again after Dragging Canoe and his party was driven to the mouth of Mig Creek near where Rogersville now stands
Col John Montgomery had this command in this affair about 40 Indians was killed having on the approach of our force retreated
This 12 months tour was under the authority of the state of Virginia & North Carolina and I expect there was an act passed by the legislature for that purpose
I know we was ordered by the Governor through General Campbell who issued all the orders from the Governor to the frontier line to the under field officers and to the then brigade
A thousand men was called out this last tour which was one of great hardships and in the latter part of the summer a treaty was concluded I think in August and even after that until the latter part of the year 1781 we was continued in service either as spies, militia, or volunteers
Col Shelby, Col Christian and Col Avery of North Carolina with some of the commissioners that treated for peace with the Indians
These are many particulars that from age and forgetfulness has escaped my memory but these facts taken in connection with my former declaration filed with suspended cases and the undisputed testimony of Wm Condray and Elisha Wallen my contemporaries through the service and this explanation and to the facts of the services, commanders, and orders to Shelby & Christian and the treaty's of peace, all of these things must be known to the department would place my case beyond any doubts and now feel satisfied with the additional testimony sent on with this amended declaration there must be a favorable decision and now after the facts laid before the board, the hardships I suffered, the starvation through wet and cold, and all the prevations that human flesh is able to bear shall I be denied the scanty pittance that Congress has made provision for me to receive for my five years suffering
I think not
I would only request that my case have a dispassionately examination
Am I refer to many other circumstances of my services during this five years and many hardships after the year 1781 in excursions after the Cherokees under Col Sevier and until 1787 or 1788 and my contemporaries were Condray, Elisha Wallen, Wm Steward, and others that waded through blood over many years for the protection and settlement of this frontier
In conclusion I now state that this amended declaration taken in connection with my former declaration and the depositions of now sent on will, he is in hopes make every part of his case plain from the great length of time since these events transpired and his great age there is many of little circumstances and perhaps some important ones that has escaped his memory which in some points might seem clothed in some mystery but feels assured that on careful examination will be found that the most material facts are all stated
And by reference to the first declaration comparing the dates will be found generally correct
I have no memory and nor records in my possession and have stoled all memory and frail as before stated
Dr. Alfred Noel is my only agent to transact this business and corresponds for me and will attend to getting my certificates if allowed and prays to be placed on the Revolutionary Pension Roll according to his services
Alex'r Ritchie
Sworn and subscribed this day and year first above written
Jessee F Beeler
Justice of the peace
Grainger county

State of Tennessee
Claiborne county
And I, Benj F. Cloud, clerk of the circuit court for this county of Claiborne and state aforesaid do hereby certify that the following questions prescribed by the War Department was duly propounded in open court and the answers duly reported as follows viz
Where and in what year and was you born
Answer-I was born in 1762
Having any record of your age and if so where is it
Answer-I have at home or did in my father's bible or the bible that was my father's
Where were you living when called into service where have you lived since the Revolutionary War and where do you now live
Answer-I lived in Virginia near Blackmore's fort Cassle Woods
What is now Russel County what was then Washington and Boutetourte Countys
4th Ques-how were you called into service were you drafted did you volunteer or were you a substitute
Answer-I was a volunteer and spy by appointment
Ques 5th-state the names of some of the regular who with the troops were you served such continental or militia regiments as you can recollect and the general circumstances of your services
Answer- Col Arthur Campbell who was after Gen'l Campbell, Col Montgomery, Col Smith, Captain Gibson, Captain Snoddy, Captain Eliott, there was ___not a regiment at __ time, and none of the continental line that I know of
5th Ques-did you ever receive a discharge from the service and if so by whom was it given and what has become of it
Answer-my captains gave me written discharges for in each tour and Col Smith gave a certificate as a spy for the nine months
7th Ques-state the name of persons to whom you are known in your present neighborhood who can testify as to your character for veracity and their belief of your services as a soldier & spy of the Revolution
Mr. Ben'n Sewell,Esq'r
Mr John Wallen, Esq'r
And indeed every man and neighbor in the country that I am known to
Sworn & subscribed to before the court in a open court this 19th of January 1839 given under my hand and seal
Benjamin F. Cloud
Clerk

State of Tennessee
Claiborne County
First judicial circuit
1836 April the 26
Present the honorable Samuel Powell judge
____personally appeared before the said court Alexander Ritchie Jun and made this amendment to his declaration originally filed at Washington for the purpose of drawing a pension according to the benefits offered by the acts of Congress passed the 7th of June 1832
Deposeth and saith that he entered the army of the United States under the following named officers and served as here in stated
That he resided in the county of Fincastle now Russell in the state of Virginia and in the month of April 1776 that he entered the service of the United States under the command of Capt Martain from Henry County in the state of Virginia
Capt Martain was sent out to defend the western frontiers and that I enlisted under him in the said month of the April for the term of six months it was where I enlisted at Blackamore station or fort this applicant performed services for the term of six months in the cause of his country
He states that this term of service was not an enrollment but that he enlisted and was ex____of by the commanding officer
The services that this applicant performed was on about every two weeks ranging the mountains in pursuit of the Indians and the reasons that this applicant was accepted at such a tender an age was that the frontier was in danger and that men was scarce and he therefore offered himself to the services of his country and that by the consent of his father and after his terms of service expired this applicant was discharged
And this applicant begs leave further to state that in the month of April in the year of 1777 that he still resided in the county of Fincastle in the state of Virginia and that he again voluntarily enlisted under Capt Gipson in the cause of his country for the term of six months to guard Blackamore's fort and what is now Scott county in said state
And that he served out the whole term for which enlisted and the order of the Capt under whose command I was that I should range the mountains in the pursuits of the Indians every two weeks which this applicant performed in good faith to his country
And after my term of service expired I received my discharge which is lost or mislaid so that I cannot produce the same
And this applicant further states that sometime in the month of April 1778 that he then resided in the county of Fincastle in the state of Virginia and that he again voluntarily enlisted himself in the cause of his country under the command of the above named Capt Gipson and we who were forted at that place (I mean Blackamores station or fort
And this applicant most positively states that he did perform the duties assigned to him as a soldier and that he spied through the whole country for many miles around the fort until his term of service expired
And applicant states that he then received his discharge
He states that during the last afore mentioned campaign or tour of duty that they had no engagements with the Indians
This applicant states that he moved with his father from the fort in the f___of 1778 to his father's plantation where he continued to live until the 12 day of March thence next ensuing
And early in the morning of the 12th ______ and this applicant that the Indians had look out and had killed six persons belonging to the family of a man by the name of the Phillips
I then moved to Dunkin's the fort where this applicant remained until the month of April and said year of 1779 when this applicant again enlisted in the cause of his country under Capt John Snoddy for the term of six months and said applicant states of the belief that he did serve in the army of the United States for the term of six months
And after one term of service had expired I received my discharge which said discharge I have lost or mislaid so that I cannot produce the same
He states that during the last above mentioned tour of duty that they had no general engagement Indians
He states that all of the services that he rendered the country as above described was as a private
And the said applicant begs leave further to state that in the month of April 1780 that he again enlisted in the services of his country under the aforesaid Capt Snoddy for the term of six months this of guarding Dunkans fort in the same county as afore and that this applicant ranged the mountains pursuit of the Indians to the order of the Capt under whom he entered
And said applicant states most positively that he had many hard and ______ enemy during the said tour of duty we had no general engagement with the enemy
He states that his service in this campaign was entirely devoted to the defense of west and he states that he __________ served out and that in actual service the aforesaid term of six months in the lands of his country
And the applicant states that he was a private while he rendered services described in the year of 1780
And after his term of service had expired that he received his discharge from Capt Snoddy which said discharge is lost or mislaid so that I cannot produce the same
And this applicant begs leave further represent to the department that sometime in the month of January 1786 that this applicant being received and _______ as one of the Indian spies from Colonel Henry Smith of Russell County Virginia
And he spied through the Kentucky and Cumberland mountains and also in the Sandy mountains which is situated in the state of Kentucky
And this applicant states most positively that he did serve for the term of nine months as one of the Indian spies
The said applicant states that John Alley who was likewise a spy and spied with this applicant
He states that he and Ally left Dunkins fort on every Monday morning and packed their provisions on their backs and ranged through the above named mountains once in every week
That is to say we left the fort on Monday and returned to it again of the Sunday thence next ensuing
And this we continue to do for the term of nine months commencing on the first day of February 1786 and then his term of service for which he was optuted expired
And this applicant states most positively that he did serve as an Indian spy on the frontiers of Virginia for aforesaid term of nine months
Alex'r Ritchie

State of Tennessee
Claiborne county
On his 18th day of January 1839 personally appeared in open court before his honour Robt M Anderson now sitting and holding the circuit court for the said county in the town of Tazewell
Alexander Ritchie a resident of said county state of Tennessee aged 75 years who being first duly sworn according to law doth on his oath make the following declaration in order to obtain the benefits of the act of Congress passed June 7, 1832 viz
He states he was first called out as a volunteer at Blackamores fort under Captn Joseph Martin in the spring of 1776 while he was yet a boy but well grown as he is now near 6 feet 4 inches high by order of Col Arthur Campbell of what is now Washington County and state of Virginia to go against the Cherokee called the Christie campaign the 1st of April
And in the fall such men as was fit for the fatigue of that campaign was detailed for that service at the same time leaving a number of men at the forts on the frontier to guard the several stations
I was one that was left at the fort being then very young and served a six month tour beginning the 1st of April and ending about October
Again in the spring of 1777 on the 1st of April I volunteered under Captain James Gibson and served a six months and in the 1st of October
In the spring following in April 1 1778 I volunteered again under Captain Gibson and served another six months tour
Col Campbell still commanded as our field officer about the 1st of October following
And in April next the first I volunteered again under Captain Snowdy or Snoddy in 1779 and served another six months tour ending on or about the 1st of October
And in the year 1780 in the month of April about the first I volunteered again under my same Captain and Snoddy for another six months tour ending on the 1st of October
These two last tours of duty Col Montgomery had the command
During these several tours of service we was engaged in a great many excursions against the Cherokees and the Shawnee Indians
The troops was arranged along a line of forts embracing a range of one hundred & fifty miles of frontier
The men was arranged as before stated from that of a captain's company to that of a sergeant's command at the different stations and forts from Blackmore fort to Martin station about 70 miles from Cumberland gap
Moores fort in Cassel Woods, Rocky station, Rye Cove, S____ hollow, ford of Clinch, Stocks Creek, Osmans fort, a fort where Lee courthouse now stands, Dunkins fort and marched from place to place in all that frontier from the waters of Clinch to Cumberland Mountain as the nature of the service required and ___those tours of militia or volunteer service the intervening six months
I was during the four years that I served the last four tours of duty was employed six months every winter from the 1st of October in every year to the 1st of April as a regular spy
There was two appointed at the headquarters for each direction or route that was to be spied out on every Monday
our duty was to take six days provisions on our backs, gun & ammunition, and start out on 15 and sometimes 20 miles out west of the line of forts and range and watch the tracks and passes of the Indians who was in the habit of making excursions in on the settlements and sometimes killing, murdering defenseless citizens, women and children;
Frank Bowing, one of our officers was killed and a number of others was killed by those tribes during the years I was in the service before and after that time after I quit the service
And was at home in the 1782 I was enrolled near Blackmores fort again for a spy under Col Henry Smith of Russell County Virginia or what is now Russell
John Aley was my companion
Received the appointment as a spy for nine months and this was as well as I recollect about the 1st of May 1782 and served my time out in that capacity
Wm Long, one of our comrades was killed this last tour as an Indian spy
At the expiration of each of my tours of militia or rather volunteer service I re'd certificates of my services from my different captains and for my services as a spy but never re'd any except one tour as a spy
These papers & documents that I had of my services was lost by my father's house being burnt in the year 1784 or 1785 as well as I recollect and cannot now produce them in consequence cannot prove the first and last of those tours of service by no living witness that I know of
My contemporaries in these two tours being either all dead or moved out of my knowledge
And can only prove that part by my own oath
The four 6 months tours under Captain Gibson & Captain Snoddy I believe I shall be able to prove them fully by one of my comrades that served two of the tours with me under Captain Gibson and served with me the other two tours but he was under a different Captain at that time but in the same line of service and same regiment
Mr. Elisha Wallen whose deposition will accompany the declaration
I was born in Prince Edward County in the state of Virginia and my father moved out to that part of Virginia called Cassels Woods, then Botetourte County, afterwards Washington & from which Russell County was taken off & Scott and Lee counties was taken off of Russell after the country was settled
Where I lived until some years after the Revolutionary War I think in all at that place about 17 years
from there I moved to ________about four years Powells Valley near Cumberland gap and near the line of this state and lived there I think four years from there I moved to the place I now live at in this county where I have lived ever since
He states that some few years ago he thinks in 1833 or four he made an effort to draw a pension through the ________________
Unknown to him his effort did not succeed nor does he know the grounds
And had given over trying to obtain a pension until very lately as he supposed that his case was one that did not come within the previous & meaning of the law but he has been informed that he is entitled under the law and has been induced to make this effort as he supposes that the want of some explanation or proofs made more full was required
He thinks that the testimony herewith annexed and the coroberating circumstances will throw some light on his case that will place it beyond suspicion
The forgoing with this that his case was rejected he is in hopes will be sufficient reasons for not renewing his application ___as his Col's was both dead and both of his Capt and also this Capt that he served his nine months tour as a spy & first Captain also as far as he knows not having heard of him for many years
That he knows that he performed the services he claims for and that every man in the country that knows him would certify their belief of the facts and is in hopes that his case will be re-examined & investigated on the principles of justice & equity and at his old age have such allowance made as the law will justify & smooth down the ills of his declining years
That though his country is slow to ___the Revolutionary soldiers ___and hardships that gained the liberty we now enjoy as well as to wrest the tomahawk & scalping knife from the ruthless savage that had at that time no regard to age nor sex
He now hereby relinquishes every claim to a pension or annuity except the present and declares that his name is not on the pension roll of the agency of any state or of any agency of the United States sworn and subscribed to the day and year aforesaid
Alexr Ritchie
Sworn to before me this ___date of January 1839
Robt M Anderson
Judge of the 12 district court
We, Benjamin Sewell residing in this county and John Wallen residing the same hereby certify that we are well acquainted with Alexander Richie of this county who has subscribed and sworn to the above declaration
That we believe his to be about seventy five years of age
That he is reputed and believed in the neighborhood where he resides to have been a soldier and Indian spy in the time of the Revolutionary War and that we concur in that opinion
Sworn in subscribed in open court the day and year first written
Benjamin Sewell
John Wallen
Sworn to & subscribed before me this 19 January 1839
Robt M Anderson
Judge of the 12th judicial circuit

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
my440sixpack 21 Jun 2008 7:05PM GMT 
debbieh2008 10 Jan 2013 1:01PM GMT 
jcmosier 27 Jan 2013 9:04PM GMT 
my440sixpack 28 Jan 2013 12:01PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions