Search for content in message boards

NEELY/NEELEY family in Scott Co.

Replies: 20

NEELY/NEELEY family in Scott Co.

Posted: 14 Apr 2007 12:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Neely, Neeley
I am hoping for help in locating ANY sort of biographical reference to this family within Virginia history. Specifically the Scott County area. I have searched death records and only found a few children of known adults in the area. Have not located ONE in any cemetery for the area, which I find strange considering they were in Scott County for decades. Perhaps a small family plot, now destroyed?
I am trying to connect a James H. Neely Born abt: 1830 VA to his parents. Popular thought seems to be that his father was a William Elijah Neely born: 1793. The "H" middle initial is suppose to be for Henderson.
For various reasons, I am leaning more toward a David & Didana Neely as his parents.
#1 Does anyone know of ANY sort of documentation...a will, probate, biographical reference in Scott county to either: James H. Neely or David Neely??
#2 Who are the various David's here in Scott Co? I see a David SR Neely born abt: 1764, a David JR Neely born abt: 1807, and have seen reference to a David Marion Neely born abt. 1820...I thought that David Marion Neeley is possibly a son to the above mentioned William E. Neely?
Gets VERY confusing when you look at the duplicate references to the family (especially James H. for some reason) in both 1850 & 1860 Scott Co. VA census records.
#3 David Neely SR is still alive at 97 yrs old in 1860 and living with son, Andrew...Andrew and his wife have kids...WHERE are all these Scott County Neely's buried? have looked at the records for about 100 cemeteries...cant find any Neely's older than born in early 1900's.
#4 Reference to Civil War..have seen a roster for a David M. Neely, William E. Neely Jr and James H. Neely all enlisting the same day and serving in the same unit. Confederate side
William E. is injured and musters out, but apparently both David and James are AWOL by spring of 1862. I didnt think the Civil War really "got going" till 1864/1865? Could this actually be more of a reference to a State Militia? Anyone shed light or have additional details?
James H. Neely takes his 2nd wife Emma and family to Kentucky..Floyd Co. and Emma dies in 1913.
#5 Does anyone know WHEN James died? Does anyone know where either Emma or husband James H. Neely/Neeley are buried in Kentucky?
ANY help, a shove in the right direction..greatly appreciated! Stacey
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
staceylynn61 14 Apr 2007 6:28AM GMT 
HappiestCampe... 18 Jan 2009 5:05AM GMT 
staceylynn61 19 Jan 2009 5:46AM GMT 
WillieA89 3 Apr 2009 10:32PM GMT 
staceylynn61 4 Apr 2009 4:02AM GMT 
staceylynn61 9 Feb 2009 4:13AM GMT 
staceylynn61 1 Apr 2009 5:29PM GMT 
HappiestCampe... 4 Apr 2009 12:46AM GMT 
shelbybowen46 4 Apr 2009 3:35PM GMT 
HappiestCampe... 4 Apr 2009 4:46PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions