Search for content in message boards

Dr Daniel Marion Ramey

Replies: 1

Re: Dr Daniel Marion Ramey

Posted: 14 Sep 2012 7:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
Dan,
My 1888 Chataigne listing of physicians in Scott County came too late for your Dr. Daniel M. Ramey who died in 1874, and I do not know if any prior publication exists of that era which would list him as a physician. It is entirely posslble that his medical training came as a result of the Civil War experience and/or his apprenticeship with another doctor, which was often the only way to get trained in those days. This was all prior to the state of Virginia having formal certifications for medical practices. My ancestor from Scott County was also a "doctor" in the Gate City area and his training was not formal either. The paths simply did not exist then as they do now. Your Dr. Daniel died young at 35, and his wife even younger at 27. But it does seem that they had a child, or children and you came thru that link. In the post-war era there was a lot ot unrest and poverty. Gun-fights were probably not unheard of, or other fights. Survival was most difficult and people were depressed. If you want to look to the Univ. of VA for Scott County microfilm reels of that time frame, you might find estate notations and possibly a will. The county was good at that, although the records are not indexed to today's standards and you might have to run thru a few reels. You can borrow these reels on library loans to your local library. They can help you with this. Check also his Civil War records thru www.fold3.com to see if they note him as a doctor. Good luck. Larry
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ornlx10 20 Aug 2012 2:07AM GMT 
Galileo3 14 Sep 2012 1:52PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions