Search for content in message boards

Rachael George, Patsy George, VA

Replies: 1

Rachael George, Patsy George, VA

Posted: 23 Feb 2011 3:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: George
I am descended from Enoch Branson George (b. 1827, VA, moved to TX, married Rachel Million). I believe I recently found him in the 1850 Census in Warren, VA. He is 22 and in a household headed by Rachael George (b. 1798). Seven other Georges are living in the household -- Mary, Matilda, Martha E., John W., Edward J., Alpheus, and Algernon. All are listed as mulatto.

A Rachael George is also listed in the 1840 Census in Warren Co, VA (as head of a household of six free persons of color) and in the 1830 census in Shenandoah Co., VA (as head of a household of 3 persons of color). Is this Rachael the mother of my Enoch Branson George and his brother Andrew Jackson George (b. 1837)?

I'm intrigued by the fact that these Georges are listed as "mulatto" and "colored." I know the terms "mulatto" and "colored" were sometimes used to indicate Native American heritage, sometimes African American, and sometimes neither of the two. However, I haven't been able to piece together the background of this Rachael or her household members.

Finally, there are other Georges nearby Rachael in some of these censuses. Patsy George is a head of household in 1820 and 1830 (Shenandoah Co.) and 1840 and 1850 (Warren Co.). She and many of her household members are listed as "mulatto" and "colored" on many of these records. Moreover, in the 1820 census a household headed by Jesse George is just a few doors down from that of Patsy. How are all these Georges in Shenandoah and Warren, VA, related? What is the story behind the "mulatto" and "colored" descriptions?

Any insights would be great. I'm having a hard time digging up more than I already have.

Amy
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ash5704 23 Feb 2011 10:56PM GMT 
LorindaJones2 29 Nov 2012 12:46AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic