Search for content in message boards

William Armstead Nowlin

Replies: 5

William Armstead Nowlin

Dr. Douglas Nowlin (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jan 2006 1:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Nowlin, Armstead, Slaughter, Russell, Sanders, Barksdale
My name is Douglas Nowlin of Rochester, NY. I'm an Afro- American. My Family came to New York State in the 1940's from Marion, Saltville, and the Abingdon, Va. area . My Great Grand father was William Armstead Nowlin, born September 18, 1871 to Joseph and Rebbeca Nowlin, in Washington Co. He raised his family in Saltville which is in Smyth Co. William had a sister her name was Stella Nowlin who also had a son which she named William Nowlin. It is said the father of Stella's son was a white man. Also looking for Sarah Jane and James K. Polk Russell of Smyth county. She is my gggrandmother and he my gggrandfather. She is the child of James Sanders and likely Hannah. He is the child of Thomas and Ailsey (Elsie) Russell. She was born June 1880 and he Dec. 1839. Her marriage license says that she was b. in Tenn. But all else says that she was b. in Va. He was born in Wythe Co., quite likely in Wytheville. He had a brother Philip, Jr. whose wife was Margaret. Other brothers were David, Benjamin and Edward David m. Polly Smith and Nelly Madison. He lived in Pulaski. Benj. m. Eleanor Wright. They too lived in Pulaski and in Smyth county James and Jane's other children were George Volden, Luther Gwinn, Charity, Susan (m. Hayes Richardson), Mary C., Laurah, Lacey (m. Annie and had a son Lacey, also), Daisy (m. Edwain Mills), Bessie (m. Randall Montgomery).. They had fourteen children altogether and it is said that some died in a fire. Also looking for Henrietta nee Nowlin, dau. of William Armstead and Mary McClanahan Nowlin. She was b. in 1895 and moved to Bluefield, W. Virginia.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Dr. Douglas Nowlin 3 Jan 2006 8:29AM GMT 
LindaSueSande... 11 Oct 2006 2:18AM GMT 
carolwarren94 19 Jul 2010 8:38PM GMT 
thmbbby1 21 Jul 2010 12:09PM GMT 
carolwarren94 21 Jul 2010 11:28PM GMT 
hairston_susa... 8 Dec 2012 3:26PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic