Search for content in message boards

HUNTs in Southampton? Also, Nat Turner?

Replies: 0

HUNTs in Southampton? Also, Nat Turner?

Posted: 13 Jul 2014 8:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Jul 2014 8:46PM GMT
Surnames: Hunt, Scott, Turner
I'm looking for information my great grandfather George Hunt of northampton county, nc. (I know people have already researched his tree, but I'm the type who like to do my own independent research rather than just going off of other trees. ;) )

Anyway, my uncles have told me that after George's first wife died in early 1900s, he went to work in Drewryville, VA. (They report how their dad and his sister, George's children, who were young at the time, slept with a shot gun because they were nervous about being left alone for long periods of time.)

I'm told that he worked for a doctor in Drewryville. (I am also aware that there is a picture floating around on the trees of George Hunt. I am the one who originally uploaded that picture. I got it from my aunt, borrowed it, and brought it home to scan it before returning it to her. then much later, reason came for me to question if it was really him, so I took it down from my own tree, but not before many others had shared it. Since then, I have heard more stories and have reason to believe that the picture is actually him, but I am still not entirely sure. )

Anyway, my older uncles informed me that George Hunt worked for a Doctor in Drewryville, VA for a short period of time, and that there may have been relatives of his in this area.

Also, I was having a casual conversation with my dad about history and I brought up Nat Turner. He got visibly uncomfortable and informed me that we were "some kin" to Nat Turner and tried to change the subject, LOL.

So the plot thickens regarding my reasons to research the southampton area.

Also, my uncle informed me a long time ago, he had been told that our family, before they became Hunt, use to be Scott. He had no information as to why this could or would occur though. I originally thought maybe he got his information crossed regarding George Hunt. His second wife was originally a Scott before they married. But I see a lot of Scotts in southampton county, and now I'm wondering if there was more to it than that.

I'm hoping that maybe doing research along this line will lead me to more informaton regarding George Hunt's first wife, India, of who I am descended, of who all that I know, even online, are at a dead end.

Find a board about a specific topic