JAMES in Southampton

Replies: 1

Re: John Herring murdered

Posted: 21 Sep 2013 9:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Scott Herring
Couldn't find and email for you... but new info here:

I'm sure you remember this John Herring:

"Scott Family" : Nicholas Scott, born say 1715, a "free Mulatto man" living in Halifax County, Virginia, on 6 May 1758 when he was tried for having shot and killed John Herring with Jacob Cogar as his accomplice. He was sent to Williamsburg for further trial where he was reprieved by the Governor but ordered to leave Virginia. The Halifax County court bound out his children John, Mary, and Elizabeth to William Wright of Antrim Parish. In July 1759 Scott was accused of being frequently in Virginia and threatening the life of William Wright because he still held Scott's children. In August 1759 his suit against James Collings was dismissed by the court because he was not a resident of Virginia [Pleas 2:330, 336, 452, 471].

It turns out that I found documentation that he was the orphan of Arthur Herring who died 1753 Amelia Co., VA and Arthur was married to Elizabeth ______, later married to Richard Stones. When John died his estate was left to his brother William Herring who died 1799 Pittsylvnia Co., VA. William's second wife was Mary Adams, Widow of Capt. Joshua Powell.

William and John were proven brothers to Arthur Herring who died 1796 in Luenenburg Co., VA and was married to Elizabeth Stokes. Elizabeth was a sister. She was married to Lodowick Farmer. Mary Herring who married Hezekiah Powell is an unproven sister and Capt. Richard Herring of King and Queen Co., VA was another "unproven" brother. I beleive that Arthur Herring who was on the 1704 Tax List of King and Queen Co., was their father.

I'm looking at Anthony and Arthur Herring who were runaways from Maryland as being this family. I've just started on that part.

I have proven that William Herring of Barren/Metcalfe Co., KY is the son of William Herring of Pittsylvania Co., He was married thrice: Martha Terry, Unity Stockton and Mary Ann M. King,

Since Peyton Herring of Pulaski Co., KY was from Virginia and had children Jesse Langford Herring (William had son Lankford Herring) and the Peyton family was prominant in Pittsylvania Co. with city named Peytonsburg, I would bet that Peyton Herring was of this line.

The Doss Family of Pulaski Co., KY was from Pittsylvania Co., VA and were of the line of John Doss and Sarah Herrin of Middlesex Co., VA. Coincidence? Also, the Farmer family of Pulaski Co., KY was from the line of Lodowick Farmer.

Thoughts?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jim Herring 8 Jan 2005 8:26PM GMT 
penengr 22 Sep 2013 3:02AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions