Search for content in message boards

CROSSLAND / CROSSLIN

Replies: 16
Posted: 23 Oct 2000 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Feb 2003 10:56AM GMT
Surnames: Chevers
Surry Co.Virginia Chevers-Nathan, how extraordinary after 350 years for an American branch to emerge with a descent from Cromwellian times in Ireland and from Chevers of Macetown.
Tom Cheevers of Brantford, Ontario accomplished a great deal on the family finding the first known ancestor Roger married to Petronilla and parents of William Chievre and his brother Ralph de la Pommeraie- quite correct different surnames! He also connected up the gaps in the early part of the descent. The estates of Monkstown were vast and stretched into six counties. Legend has it that at the time of Cromwell one of the soldiers levelled an insult at the statue of the Virgin Mary and was immediately smitten with blindness.The Head of the family is also supposed to have thrown a spear over the cross in Blackrock Village once a year to show the extent of his border.
John Cheevers has set up an excellent and informative web-site at www.cheevers.org with Irlandia Regnum maps showing
Ballyhealy Castle, Wexford, Macetown in Co.Meath and Monkstown.If you are not already aware of this great work
do examine it. Chevers believe that the original spelling was single e, then double, and eventually reverting to the original spelling.
I have been to Monkstown many times, and also to Ballyhealy
which is a very sound structure, renovated by a German who now lets it for B & B. Killiane Castle between Rosslare and Wexford was also in the family following a marriage into the Hay family early 16th.century until Cromwell.The epithet used with Chevers is laughing and from an extract of an article in 1889 it is said"But the laughing Cheevers
have gone, only their castles of Ballyhealy and Killiane remain to tell of their former state".Macetown I visited years ago but there was only a stump of a wall left but I found the chapel of St.Nicholas where Sir Christopher Chevers and his wife Dame Anne Plunkett are buried, he d.1581.I am most interested to see the little book on Chevers/Travers if you can send or even photocopy.
I really want to see a raising of the clan so to speak -
there are quite a number of both single and double ee's
as you will see from Cheevers site.I found mention of Bartholomew- the connection is from Aylmers of Donadea and Lyons and Margaret daughter of Walter Chevers of Ballyhealy and Macetown (1483) married Aylmer and died 20 Sept 1514.
Look forward to hearing from you soon.

With best regards

Max Chevers
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jimcrosslin 29 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT 
Thom Montgomery 12 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT 
jimcrosslin 12 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT 
MAXCHEVERS 21 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Nathan Miller 22 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT 
MAXCHEVERS 23 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Nathan Miller 24 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT 
MAXCHEVERS 24 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions