Search for content in message boards

Barnes Family of Surry Co.

Replies: 2

Barnes Family of Surry Co.

Posted: 27 Aug 2007 3:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Barnes
Recently I posted Barnes' queries on the Surry site in hopes someone would aide me in the descendants of John Barnes and Sarah Sowersby of Surry Co. My second great grandparents were Henry Mason, son of Christopher Mason and Sarah Chappell of Brunswick Co. and Lizza "Elizabeth" Barnes, dau. of John Barnes Sr. and Susanna Blanks of Greensville Co. VA. I have many documents regarding the descendants, court records, etc. of John Barnes and Susanna Blanks, yet have been unable to find documentation regarding the parents of this John Barnes. Unless proven wrong, it is my belief that John Barnes, husband of Susanna Blanks, was the son of John Barnes Sr. and wife Sarah Sowersby. I'll outline further regarding my Barnes line and ask if anyone reading this and has documentation to prove/disprove John Barnes of Greensville as the son of John Barnes of Surry Co. would you please reply?

The following will is of John Barnes of Surry Co. VA whom I believe to have been our John's father. John Barnes 10-29-1757/5-16-1758 Wife (not named), sons Samuel & Benjamin (not of age) William & JOHN, dau Lucy father: Henry

The above John Barnes married Sarah Sowersby. Then our John Barnes and Susanna named their first daughter Sarah and first son John Barnes.

Then a John Barns, whom I believe may have been ours...reports the birth of two slaves: Joyce in 1763 and Jenny in 1759 Surry Co.

Susanna Blanks Barnes' mother was Elizabeth and called Eliza. Following Ingram Blanks death in 1762 Brunswick, Eliza married secondly Penny Hurst a schoolteacher. I believe he taught Susanna Blanks Barnes to read and write. For sure she was literate as was her daughter Lizza.

Children of John Barnes and Susanna Blanks and whom they married:

1. Sarah Barnes (underage) married Griffan Waldript 1793 Greensville Co. William Rivers Surety. (Note: More documentation regarding this couple later in query.)

Susanna's sister was Ann Nancy Blanks who married Moses Collier.

2. John Barnes married Elizabeth Bass 1803 Greensville, and the surety was Jacob Payne (m. Susanna Collier 1805) Minister: John Bonner. Elizabeth Bass was the daughter of Arthur Bass and Agnes Morris Alsobrook. Agnes the daughter of Thomas Morris who witnessed the will of Ingram Blanks 1762 Brunswick Co.

3. William Barnes: September 8, 1801: Robert Mabry and Ingram Blanks, one party, Executors of the estate of Nathaniel Mabry deceased, to WILLIAM BARNES of the other part for $200.00. 90 acres of land in Greensville Co. VA. This 90 acres be the same more or less and bounded entirely by Otterdam Swamp. Lands belonging to the estate of John Hobbs. Record May Court 1803.

William Barnes died in Greensville County 1804: His will states that at his mother's death, his "siblings who have treated My Mother Susannah Barnes the best are to receive from the estate." William Barnes requested "no inventory and no appraisement." Witnesses: Nathaniel Mabry, Bozwell Payne and Thomas Malone. 1804 Vol. 1 Folio 516

4. Benjamin "Bennett" Barnes married Susanna Simmons Whitehorn, widow, 1815. Note to the Sussex Co. VA Clerk from Susanna: "Sir, you are at liberty to grant Bennit Barnes license to marry me." Surety for this marriage was Charles S. Newsom Jr. Susanna first married Phillemon Whitehorn 1801 Sussex Co. the nephew of my third ggrandparent Edward Whitehorn of Sussex Co.

5. Henry Mason married Lizza Barnes 1816 Greensville. Bennett Barnes was the Surety. Lizza Barnes wrote the Clerk of Greensville Co. giving permission for Mr. Henry Mason to marry her.

6. Richard Barnes married Polly Wray/Rhay 1817, and Benjamin Hogwood was the Surety. Note from Polly Rhay to the Greensville Co. Clerk Edmund Mason saying she would like to marry Richard Barnes.

7. Hartwell Adams married Rebecca Barnes 1821 Greensville. Littleton Chambliss was the Surety.

Elizabeth Wager's will dated 1784 Greensville Co. lists several old Surry names such as Judkins, Chapman, Smith, Wager, Cryer and also includes John Barnes and his daughter Sarah. Sarah "Sally" Barnes married "underage". Susanna Barnes wrote a letter to the Greensville Co. Clerk Edmund Mason stating that her daughter Sally Barnes had permission to marry Griffan Waldript. Susanna signed her name "Susanna Barns". Under the signature of Susanna Barnes is written William Rivers. William Rivers was the Surety for this marriage. Griffin and Sally married 13 Feb 1793 in Greensville. Then in a deed in Greensville 1822 with Lizza (Elizabeth) Mason, her brother Bennett and wife Susanna Barnes, Hartwell Adams and wife Rebecca Barnes is noted that lands left to Sally Waldript by her mother Susanna Barnes had also been passed down to the siblings along with Susanna's lands, following her death in Oct. 1820 Greensville. I don't know when Sally died but it was after Oct. 1820. Lizza "Elizabeth" Barnes Mason's land was next to that of Crawley House and on the other side of Lizza's lands were those of her siblings. Susanna Blanks Barnes' father Ingram Blanks was guardian of Lawrence Houses' sons. Lawrence's widow Winifred married Susanna's Uncle Richard Blanks. When Susanna Blanks Barnes died in Greensville 1820 her Administrator was James Blanks. Then when James Blanks died, Richard Barnes the grandson of Susanna, was the first Administrator of James Blanks estate.

Sincerely,
Carolyn Mason Anderson

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
CarolynAnders... 27 Aug 2007 9:08PM GMT 
jimmybarnes08 3 Sep 2011 5:20PM GMT 
CarolynAnders... 3 Sep 2011 6:10PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions