Search for content in message boards

John Wrenn of early Surry Co, VA

Replies: 27

Re: John Wrenn of early Surry Co, VA

Posted: 8 Oct 2013 4:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Barnes, Simmons, Mason
Hi Dorothy, My husband suffered a stroke last July and I seldom am online. It was a pleasure to see your note today. The only Whittington I have in my tree at present is Carroll who married Alice "Alcey" Newsom 02 Apr 1818 Sussex. I show Alcey as a daughter of Charles S. and Temperance Holt Newsom. In fact, when my second great grandfather David Newsom died January 1821 Sussex Co., one of the attendees was Alcey Newsom. No doubt whoever was writing names failed to write Alcey's married name of Whittington. Goodness knows, Alcey Stagg Newsom would have been very, very old by then.

You mentioned my second great grandmother Elizabeth "Lizza" Barnes. Lizza's brother Benjamin "Bennett" Barnes was Surety for Henry Mason and Lizza Barnes when they married 9 January 1816 Sussex. Benjamin "Bennett" Barnes married Susanna Simmons Whitehorn, widow, 17 Feb. 1815 Sussex and their Surety was Charles S. Newsom Jr., brother to Alcey Newsom Whittington. Susanna Simmons Whitehorn was first married to Philemon Whitehorn, a nephew of Edward Whitehorn of Sussex Co. Edward married Sarah Meglamre Clanton, widow of John Clanton, 15 Sep 1791 and they my third great grandparents.

It appears that Elizabeth Lizza" Barnes' mother Susanna Blanks Barnes named her for her mother Eliza Blanks, widow of Ingram Blanks. Following Ingram's death, Eliza married secondly Penny. Hurst a schoolteacher of Brunswick Co. "Lizza" Barnes parents were John Barnes Jr. and wife Susanna Blanks. Please visit the following site which is my brother Farrel E. "Gene" Mason to read our descent from Capt. John Mason the Elder::
http://www.ncroots.com/DNA-Mason-Worldwide/70287.htm

There are now five men representing Capt. John Mason of Surry/Sussex Co. listed there. You can click the numbers on the top of the page to read each of their descents from Capt. John.

Again, thanks for contacting me.
Carolyn Mason Anderson
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
S_CarlisleBra... 27 Jan 2013 6:49PM GMT 
dorothy7962 27 Jan 2013 11:23PM GMT 
CarolynAnders... 28 Jan 2013 12:01AM GMT 
S_CarlisleBra... 29 Jan 2013 2:16AM GMT 
CarolynAnders... 6 Oct 2013 5:24PM GMT 
dorothy7962 7 Oct 2013 2:35AM GMT 
dorothy7962 7 Oct 2013 2:38AM GMT 
CarolynAnders... 8 Oct 2013 10:32PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions