Search for content in message boards

COCKES family in Elberon

Replies: 34

Re: Cockes family

Posted: 4 Aug 2003 9:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Jun 2005 12:41AM GMT
Well, Hello Relative, Patricia Johnson!

Otho, Sr. was my grandfather! HIs wife was Ida Lownsberry Cockes. They had four children. His middle son was my father Francis. That made Zelna and Otho, Jr. my uncles and Virginia my aunt.

My father, Francis, married Margaret Elizabeth Harris of Engelhard, NC and, of course, she became Margaret H. Cockes! I am their only daughter, Dwan Eileen Cockes Johnosn. I married David Lee Johnson, Sr. of Louisville, KY in 1971. We have two adopted sons, David, Jr. and Jeffrey. Currently we are not too far from Elberon in Southampton County (Sedley)! My husband, David, is the pastor of Sedley Baptist Church.

I'd love to get with you, meet you, and compare notes! PLEASE contact me by e-mail and I'll let you know how to contact me in person!

A little more info, here, if you don't have it:

Grandfather Cockes' father, Charles (my great grandfather), divided up the Cockes Crossing farm into four plots and gave them to each of his children: Otho, Sr., Ollie, Ottimus (Ottie) and Olivia. Grandfather Otho was the County Extension Agent for Surry County for many years. Great-Uncle Ottie served as postmaster for the Elbeon post office for many years, and his daughter Marion Cockes Sowder still lives next door to the post office. She followed her father as postmaster at the Elberson Office.

Are you familiar with the New Lebanon Christian Church at Elberon? The land on which it stands was a part of the Cockes farm. Great-Grandfather Charles gave the land to the church, and from what I understand, Uncles Ollie and Ottie helped build it.

I'd love to know where in the Cockes line you fall and see if we can get back any further than Great Grandfather Charles. I think his father's name was John.

I was actually born and raised in York County, where my father, Francis Cockes, was fire chief for the Coast Guard base there. It was a Naval base before the Coast Guard took it over when I was 11.

Grandfather Otho's and Grammy Ida's home burned to the ground in the early 1940's, but the little office that Grandfather used for his home office is still standing.. Papa (Francis) actually inherited that land and I still have a picture of the old house that he gave me before he died in 1995. Also pictures of Grandfather and Grammy, Uncles Ollie and Ottie. When Papa had the farm, he had a beautiful orchard with apples, peaches, and plums. When the Coast Guard took over the Naval Base, we moved to Gloucester, and Mama and Papa sold that section of the Elberon farm to cousin Marion Sowder Cockes. I think she still owns it, but the orchard is no more.

Like I say, get in touch and we'll see if we can't get together! My e-mail address is preachwife6@aol.com. If you'll drop me an
E-mail letting me know how I can contact you personally further, I'd appreciate it! I'd love for us to get together!

By the way, Grandfather, Grammy, Uncle Zelna and his wife Elizabeth, their son Tommy, are all buried at the Oakwood Cemetery in Surry.

Thanks and I'm looking forward to hearing from you!
Dwan Cockes Johnson
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
patriciajohns... 23 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT 
patriciajohns... 22 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Graceblest1 5 Aug 2003 3:17AM GMT 
patriciajohns... 6 Jun 2010 1:37AM GMT 
patriciajohns... 23 Nov 2011 12:47AM GMT 
Melodie (Cockes) Gleason 11 Nov 2003 8:10PM GMT 
charlewells 6 Jun 2010 1:00AM GMT 
MelodieCockes... 27 Oct 2010 5:43PM GMT 
Graceblest1 16 Dec 2011 4:02AM GMT 
wendy_elf05 22 Aug 2012 7:51PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions