Search for content in message boards

John W. Arnold

Replies: 0

John W. Arnold

Posted: 17 Aug 2011 1:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Aug 2011 9:55AM GMT
Surnames: Maifeld, Arnold, Loehr
I was recently looking for information on my ggg grandaunt Augusta Maifeld in Waverly, VA. I believe I found her as Augusta W. Arnold (b. abt 1843), the wife of J. W. Arnold (b. abt 1837) in the 1880 census. Listed just below her on the census page is her sister Amelia Maifeld Loehr.

I lived in Waverly my whole life but knew nothing of Augusta, aside from her name, until now. I'm looking for any information on Augusta or the Arnold family and their descendants. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I have confirmed that Augusta Arnold is my ggg grandaunt Augusta Maifeld. My grandmother told me that there was "something strange" about the way she died. In March of 1883 Augusta went out to the well behind her home (across from the Episcopal Church on Main St.) and was hit in the head and killed. She was buried in the family cemetary behind the house until a road went in behind it and her grave was moved to Waverly Cemetary.

My gg grandfather Albert Maifeld and 2 of his brothers left Germany to come live with their aunt in Waverly. Until now I believed it was Amelia Loehr they were living with but it was actually Augusta Arnold. I've learned from family letters that John W. was not a very nice man and treated the boys very harshly. There was a lot of family tension at this time.

I'm also searching for a court record of her death, if one exists.

Brittany Pearson

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions