Search for content in message boards

Loxis.....was this a village in Sussex Co.?

Replies: 0

Loxis.....was this a village in Sussex Co.?

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 5:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BARHAM PRINCE LIFSEY
I'm working on an annotated edition of my 2nd gr-grandfather's memoir (Theophilus Gilliam Barham, d. 1885) and am still stumped on one thing mentioned. He refers to a town/village/crossroads called "Loxis," which I presume was in Sussex, possibly in the Henry district. Barham was married in January 1854 to Virginia Ann Prince, d/o Benjamin Prince and Martha Lifsey. In his memoir, he states: "After my marriage I lived at Loxis where Jacob Williams now lives...." If not Sussex, then Greensville is a possibility. T. G. and Virginia Ann Barham lived at Loxis two years, and then moved to Greensville "where Mrs. Lifsey died on the Petersburg Railroad, near the Otterdam Swamp, where I lived until after the war..." The second property was a gift from Benjamin Prince to his son-in-law, and was not far from Jarratt.

Any help ID'ing "Loxis" would be welcomed! There's always the possiblity of a spelling error, as the memoir in its current form is a typescript copy of a longhand original, the typescript prepared in the 1940s. Barham was born in Southampton in 1833, and finished the War as a Lt. Colonel in the 24th VA Cavalry.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions