Search for content in message boards

POOLE in Stoney Creek and Dinwiddie

Replies: 0

POOLE in Stoney Creek and Dinwiddie

Posted: 1 Jan 2014 10:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: POOLE LEWIS RICHARDSON BARHAM
I'm sort of stabbing in the dark, but the goal here is to find the father of William "Willie" Marcellus Poole, born May 1887, to Lillie Lewis Poole of Stoney Creek. It has been believed that Marcellus' father died prior to 1892, when Lillie remarried to Benjamin J. Richardson of the Henry District, Sussex Co. Lillie and Ben's first child was Oney Elizabeth Richardson, who later married my grandmother's brother, George E. Barham, also of Sussex Co. There exists the possibility that Lillie Lewis and Marcellus Poole's father may not have been married. Marcellus Poole is found--AGE 13--in the 1900 census for Sussex living with (Delia) A. E. Lewis--his grandmother--and George Lewis--his uncle--in Sussex, rather than with his birth mother Lillie and step-father Ben J. Richardson. Marcellus likewise registered for the WW1 draft in 1917 in Sussex, referencing a wife and child at this point--their identities not known. After that, his whereabouts are not established.

My thinking is that Marcellus' father was likely born in the 1860s, and was part of the large Poole family centered around the Sapony Church/Dinwiddie and Stoney Creek/Sussex area. If you've worked on this Poole family, and have an idea of the likely suspects, I'd love to hear from you.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions