Search for content in message boards

Bentonville, VA, old schoolhouse?

Replies: 2

Re: Bentonville, VA, old schoolhouse?

Posted: 3 Aug 2013 11:16PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Surnames: George
I saw that you live in Bentonville -- and having just visited there today on a genealogy search -- was hoping you might be able to point me in the right direction. In 1907, Algernon (Algie) George, sold a 2-acre property to Emma J. Mathes (Matthews?). This property apparently contained a family burial ground which the deed stipulated Algernon gets to continue to have access to and add grave sites to it, if needed. I would love to locate this burying ground, assuming it is still visible. The deed book described the property as "lying and being in South River Magisterial District at Jacksonville about one mile East of Bentonville, known as the School House & Legg lots, along the Bentonville-Brownville road, bounded on the East, West & North by the lands of the said Emma J. Mathes, and on the South by the County road [meaning the Bentonville-Brownville Road?]"

If you or anyone else in Bentonville, knows of this burying ground, I'd greatly appreciate the information. Thanks!

My best guess for where this burial plot might be is approximately where it says "Collins" above the Bentonville-Brownville Road near Jacksonville on the 1866 map you sent to me. On the Warren County Heritage Soc. map, I'd say it may be the graveyard shown just west of the Middle Flint Run Fork Creek. Ideally, I would come back and trace the deeds to the present to know what happened to Emma J. Mathes' land. However, as it seems these 2 acres were merged with Emma Mathes' much larger property, it could be hard to know where exactly that burying ground is (if it's still in existence). Of course, in addition, I could try to figure out the significance of "School House and Legg lots." There is a Willis Legg household in Warren Co. in 1840 and 1850 (District 69). My hope was that he would be living near Rachael George's household (and perhaps Rachael ends up buried in that "Legg lot" George burial ground). However, while all in District 69 of Warren Co. in 1850, Willis Legg's family is listed on page 31, Rachael's on page 17, and Patsey's on page 4. That said in 1840, it appears Willis is living near several Thompsons. Perhaps the Thompsons of Thompson Hollow Road (near that 2-acre plot). So, eventually, it could pay to look for deeds to that Willis Legg property. Descriptions in those deeds could help to pinpoint the burying ground.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lmf2626 4 Nov 2011 12:28PM GMT 
RSantmyer 8 Nov 2011 3:47AM GMT 
ash5704 4 Aug 2013 5:16AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions