Search for content in message boards

MOXLEY

Replies: 5

Re: MOXLEY

Posted: 16 Jul 2012 9:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Murphy, Murphey
Len Chapel:

I have been in contact with Carolyn Spence. She is not doing so well these days.
I am in the process of publishing "Weasel Tom" the autobiography of Thomas Moxley b. 02/15/1837 Ashe County, NC near Sparta, d. 02/21/1930 Carson, Iowa.
Thomas mentions Levi Fender and John Fender in his writings.
Also mentions Chesley Cheek, Daniel Crouse.
James and Polly (Mary) Dillard are his father and Mother-in-Law. Thomas married Rachel Dillard their daughter.
He also mentions Pleasant C. Higgins Nicholas McKnight, Timothy Murphy. Jesse Reeves.
Thomas is the son of Zachariah Moxley and Susanna Waggoner.

Carolyn mentioned that you had information on Timothy Murphy (or is it Murphey).

Here is an excerpt from his autobiography:

Thomas had a neighbor by the name of Murphey, an aged man, and just a true as Union man as ever lived. He helped Thomas a great deal, getting all the news he could and telling where the militia guard were. He could tell the boys that had left the Rebel army where to go and stay until Thomas would come back home. Thomas had another rock house near where Murphey lived and Murphey would send the Union boys there to wait for Thomas’ return.
Thomas would pilot them along the mountains for many miles dodging the militia guard, being gone sometimes three weeks. He had a rock house far out in the mountain, where but few white men ever set foot, which he had found before the war while ‘coon hunting when tracking them in a dense thicket of laurel where he had to get down and creep through for a great distance along a ledge of high rock sixty feet high, and coped over so much that hundreds of cattle could have shelter through a dreadful storm if they could have gotten to it.

I hope you can help me make a positive identification for Timothy.
Also, I hope you still have a Ancestry account.

David Moxley
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Len Chapel 11 Apr 1998 12:00PM GMT 
Tom Deagan 10 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT 
wgt23 20 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT 
margiemoxley 20 Jul 2001 1:37AM GMT 
wgt23 20 Jul 2001 2:11AM GMT 
dave5mox 17 Jul 2012 3:39AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions