Search for content in message boards

ARTHUR FERNEY LEE

Replies: 2

Re: ARTHUR FERNEY LEE

Posted: 10 Feb 2012 12:55PM GMT
Classification: Birth
This message concerns a false connection between ARTHUR FERNEY LEE (supposedly born c 1693), and the more famous RICHARD LEE OF VIRGINIA line of Lees, from which a number of notable American soldiers, statesmen, and leaders descended..

As a fellow researcher, I wanted to alert others having an interest in LEE lines to a common error found in nearly every database I've seen. The error is a longstanding one that was, I think, originally generated in a book named “Happy Heritage: Genealogies of Seven Southern Families”, published in 1943, and authored by Lyndon (Lee) Cannon. She was a great-aunt of my wife; we have an autographed copy of the book, given by Lyndon Cannon to my wife's G-Parents at their wedding.

The book is a summary of anecdotal and purported family bible history which had been maintained by her grandfather, William Lewis Lee. In it, a glamorous and dashing ancestry is claimed to have been discovered within the (famous) LEE family line dating back to the year 1066 and the Norman Invasion. I personally believe from my own reading of the book (and a person knowledge of the family culture) that a subtle, but clear, effort was made so as to justify a claim of family relationship to ROBERT E LEE, General of the Confederacy, who descends from the same line of famous Virginian Lees.

Unfortunately, the connection is wishful thinking on the part of either Lyndon (Lee) Cannon or one of her ancestors from whom she claimed to have obtained the information. I say unfortunate because I wasted several weeks of research following this path before realizing the simple fact that RICHARD LEE II (The Scholar) DID NOT HAVE A SEVENTH SON NAMED ARTHUR as claimed in Lyndon’s book.

After breaking the disappointing news to my wife, I realized that there are probably thousands of individuals out there who have looked at databases available online and taken the false notion that they relate via this angle to some of the most famous and respected people in American history, when in fact they do not. This message is an effort on my part to begin to set the record straight.

Luckily, you don’t have to solely take my word as gospel… Recent DNA testing by bonafide male descendants in the ARTHUR FERNEY LEE SR\ARTHUR FERNEY LEE JR\DAVID LEE line have scientifically disproven any link to the RICHARD LEE of Virginia line. For further information, see:

genforum.genealogy.com/lee/messages/19557.html

Here's to discovering the truth!

Sincerely and in good faith,

Mike Kingery
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
nbacton 10 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT 
craZeeferret 11 Feb 2003 11:52AM GMT 
Av8nFish 10 Feb 2012 7:55PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic