Search for content in message boards

Parents/Siblings of Samuel Moore (1814-1880)

Replies: 4

Parents/Siblings of Samuel Moore (1814-1880)

Posted: 18 May 2012 8:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Moore, Hardin, Maynard
Time for the next step in my brickwall search:

Samuel Moore, B. Scott County, VA 1814 (the year it was approved to become a county) D. ~1880, Martin County, Kentucky (See below as one of three potential fathers seemed to live in Lee County after some county line changes in 1822--and perhaps before the formation in 1814--all this, I believe eventually became Wise County)

Married twice:
First: Thursa Hardin, 1837, Lawrence County, KY
Second: Mary Maynard, 1863, Lawrence County, KY

Nine Land Grants via nine patents in Lawrence & Floyd Counties, KY in what eventually became Martin County, KY from 1844-1866

From a review of 1820 and 1830 Scott County census records, I have narrowed down possible matches for fathers to Henry, Joel and Samuel Moore who each had sons the age of Samuel. By 1830, county lines had slightly changed again, and we find Samuel back in Lee County--so I could narrow down where he lived to a small upper northeast corner of Lee County.

Can someone advise on historical records in southwest VA in the early 1800s beyond the census and tax lists? More specifically, I'm looking to take a trip down there to research a decade-long brickwall for my great grandfather said to be born in transcribed oral histories via old baptist preacher in 1814 in Scott County, VA (the year it was approved to become a county). I'm willing to look around at Lee, Russell & Washington counties as well (and maybe Wise?)--if need be...since this individual was born in the year the county was formed from these three counties. I'm going to repost some things on message boards as well. I'm even willing to look at old maps to trace some census routes and start researching what ancestral neighbors' families for the three potential fathers of this individual may have...I want this to be a well-planned trip in order to maximize my time down there...any advice appreciated!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Mokuleia2 18 May 2012 2:05PM GMT 
chale2175 25 Jun 2012 2:20PM GMT 
Mokuleia2 7 Oct 2012 10:50AM GMT 
Mokuleia2 7 Oct 2012 11:06AM GMT 
Mokuleia2 7 Oct 2012 8:12PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions