Search for content in message boards

Still looking for Stella Robinson of Vancouver, WA

Replies: 3

Still looking for Stella Robinson of Vancouver, WA

Posted: 21 May 2012 3:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Robinson
Hi Everyone,

If you know someone who grew up in 1910-1930s in the St. James/Post Military Cemetery area or the Washington School and ‘S’ Street area, please ask them if they remember an African American woman named Stella Robinson or “Old Robbi” as the children affectionately called her. I would very much like to learn more about her. Stella worked as a seamstress/laundress as well as midwife to many of the neighborhood women.

Here is a list of sources I have for Stella:

Name: Estella Idalie (Williams) Robinson - aka: Stella or Old Robbi

Born: approximately Aug 1869 in Denver Colorado

Parents: Milo Williams and Elizabeth

1870 census - Denver, Arapahoe, Colorado Territory – name: Ella Williams

1880 census - Denver, Arapahoe, Colorado – name: Ella Williams

1900 census - Wardner 1-2, Osburn, Shoshone, Idaho – name: Sada Robinson - widowed - mother of 2, 1 child living.

1910 census - Vancouver Ward 3, Clark, Washington - name: Idelie S Robinson - widowed - mother of 3, 0 living.

1920 census - Vancouver, Clark, Washington – name: Stella Robinson –Widowed

1930 census - Vancouver, Clark, Washington – name: Stella Robinson –Widowed

1931 Vancouver, Washington City Directory as “Robinson Estella (wid E F) h 2701 L”

1934 Vancouver, Washington City Directory listed as “Estella Robinson (Wid. James) 2701 L St.”

There were no listings for Estella, Estelle, or Stella Robinson in the 1938, 1940, or 1950 Vancouver City Directories.

1940 census - Vancouver, WA - I went page by page and didn’t find her listed.

Death ????

My best guess is that she died in Vancouver WA or Portland OR but we can’t find a death record. Were the deaths of African Americans recorded differently or not at all in the early 1900s in Vancouver? If she didn't have any family to claim her body, where would she have been buried?

Please contact me privately if you have further information.

Thank You
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
hjoyh 21 May 2012 9:40PM GMT 
JacquelineDea... 7 Jul 2012 8:10PM GMT 
mmmhattie 20 Oct 2012 4:18PM GMT 
hjoyh 20 Oct 2012 5:55PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions