Search for content in message boards

JOHN WILSON OF BERKELEY CO, WVA (PREVIOUSLY FREDERICK CO, VA)

Replies: 14

JOHN WILSON OF BERKELEY CO, WVA (PREVIOUSLY FREDERICK CO, VA)

Posted: 19 Aug 2007 12:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WILSON, THORNBOROUGH, TURNER, STRODE, SWEARINGEN, VAN METRE, ETC.
Karen Abel and I have been researching JOHN WILSON who died in 1783 in Berkeley County, Virginia. She has transcribed his will along with several deeds. Karen is presently working on transcribing further deeds that will no doubt be of help to us in this search. She has given me permission to post this information on message boards to try to obtain others' help with this search. We are particularly interested in witnesses of the will and deeds in trying to determine who John Wilson was.

First of all, there were TWO JOHN WILSONs in Old Frederick County, Virginia. The John Wilson who married Mary Marquis and was involved with that family and with the Glass family was NOT THE SAME MAN. Many have confused the two and combined them into one man. They were two separate John Wilsons.

Our John Wilson was married first to ___ (name currently unknown) and second to JANE ___(surname currently not proven). He had three sons by his first wife and ten children by his second wife Jane. The names of his children lean me towards the belief that the family was in some way connected possibly to the following families: Van Metre, Strode, Swearingen. His thirteen children's names were: EDWARD, JAMES, WILLIAM, JEREMIAH, JACOB, ELIZABETH CLAWSON, MARY JONES, SARAH, JOHN, THOMAS, LATTICE, DANIEL, and ISAAC WILSON. Children who moved to Kentucky were definitely involved with the Strode and Swearingen families.

John Wilson was one of seventy families who came to Old Frederick County, Virginia with Alexander Ross and Morgan Bryan who had come from the Chester County, Pennsylvania area. It would appear that he was a Quaker (see later mentioned records for this belief).

We would appreciate any help in learning John's origin, parents, wife's surnames. Also if anyone has information regarding the people mentioned in the following records (will, land deeds, etc.) it would be most helpful to our search.

Berkeley Co., WV, Wills, Book 1
p. 310 (transcribed by Karen Abel):
In the Name of God amen I John Wilson of Berkeley County and Colony of Virginia being weak in body but of sound and perfect mind and memory thanks be to Almighty God for the same and calling to mind the mortality of my Body and knowing that it is appointed for all men once to die. I recommend my Soul into the hands of Almighty God that gave it and my Body to the Earth to be buried in a decent and Christian like manner - at the discretion of my Executors hereafter named and unto such worldly Estate it hath pleased God to endow me with. I dispose of the same in the following manner and form viz Imprimis I give to my three Sons Edward William and James as also to the heir at Law of my Daughter Eleanor Deceased the sum of five Shillings apiece for it is their part of my Estate the above gift to be their and their Heirs forever. Item I give and bequeath to my well beloved wife Jane the remaining part of my Estate after such Legacies as I have and shall hereafter mention be paid as also the use of my Stock and Plantation to be put to the use of bringing up and schooling my youngest Children until my youngest Son comes to the age of Twenty one years but when my youngest Children comes of age I will that my land be sold and the several Legacies paid. Item I give and bequeath to my Sons and Daughters viz Jeremiah, Jacob, Elizabeth Clawson, Mary Jones Sarah John Thomas Lattice Daniel and Isaac the sum of one hundred pounds apeice to be paid when my Land is sold the above gifts to be their and their Heirs forever but if any of my last Children should Die without heir or under age I will that their part be equally divided among the Survivors of my ten last mentioned Children and if my land should sell for more than will pay the above Legacies I will that such remainder be Equally Divided between my wife and my ten last mentioned children and I appoint my wife Executrix and John Jones Executor of this my last will and Testament revoking all former wills heretofore made ratifying and confirming this and no other to be my last will and Testament. In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this third Day of March one Thousand Seven hundred and Eighty three.
John Wilson (his mark)
Mercy Thornborough, Hezekiah Thornborough, John Turner
At a court continued and held for Berkeley County the 16th Day of April 1783
This last will and testament of John Wilson Deceased was presented in court by Jane Wilson and John Jones the Executors therein named who made oath thereto according to Law and the same being proved by the oaths of Mercy Thornborough Hezekiah Thornborough and John Turner witnesses thereto and ordered to be recorded and so the motion of the said Executors who entered with Bond with John Turner and Abraham (no last name in transcription - need to see original) their securities in the Penalty of three Hundred pounds conditioned (?) __ their True and faithful administration of the said estate certificate is granted them for obtaining a Probate thereof in Due form of law.
p. 318 (abstracted):
An appraisal of the personal estate of John Wilson, taken on 18 Jun 1783, totalled £93.17.0. It included:
a sorrel horse, a brown mare, a bay mare & colt, a bay horse, a sorrel mare, a brown horse, two bay colts, four cows & three calves, three year-old calves, six sheep, 1 sow & three pigs, fourteen young hogs, one ax, one plow & tackling, two beds & furniture, a chest & dining table, one linen wheel & copper ware, two iron pots, pewter and earthenware, four old hoes & lumber, one powdering (?) tub & lumber, one pair fire tongs, twenty acres of wheat & rye, and notes from James Wilson, Thomas Thornborough and Lawrence Cant___. (what is his last name?)

There is almost no punctuation throughout this will. I have put in only what was there. But seeing the actual will clears up the question of the children of John Wilson. There were the obvious first four: Edward, William, James and Eleanor (deceased with what appears to be just one heir). Yes, the names of the rest of the children pretty much run together, BUT the will then refers twice to John’s “last ten mentioned children.” From that, it becomes clear that the other children were:
Jeremiah
Jacob
Elizabeth Clawson
Mary Jones
Sarah
John
Thomas
Lattice (this is definitely NOT Lather)
Daniel
Isaac

Frederick County, Virginia, Deeds, Book 14, pages 68 & 70 Lease & (Release) - 13 Aug 1770 - Between Solomon Hedges & Rebecca his wife of Hampshire County & Silas Hedges their son & heir to JOHN WILLSON of Frederick County... consideration of 5 shillings (£160)... tract of land situate lying and being in Frederick County aforesaid... Containing 200 acres... which said Tract was devised to said Rebecca by the Last Will of John Vanmetre deceased her father... Rent of one peppercorn on Lady Day next... Signed: Solomon Hedges, Rebecca (O) Hedges, Silas Hedges. Witnesses: Phil Pendleton, William Willson, Alexander White, Peter Hogg, Jno Magill. Recorded 4 Dec 1770.

John Wilson’s second wife, Jane (surname presently not proven), moved to Mason County, Kentucky after John’s death as proven by the following deeds:

BERKELY COUNTY, WV, DEEDS
Volume 13, p. 154 - "Know all men by these presents that I Jane Wilson of Mason County and State of Kentucky for divers good causes and considerations am thereunto moveing to make constitute and appoint my son Isaac Wilson of the County and State aforesaid my true and lawfull attorney for me and in my name to ask and demand and receive all rents and debts that is now due me or to become due in the County of Berkeley and State of Virginia and further I impower my said attorney to sell and dispose of all my right and claim to a certain Plantation and Tract of land lying and being in Berkeley County aforesaid being Part of a Tract of land Known by the Name of Vanmeters Marsh and rented by me and John Jones to a certain Nicholas Strayer. I do further impower my said attorney to sign and Execute any Deed of Deeds that may be given for said land in my name and further to commence any suit or suits that may be nessessary for the recovery of any of my Debts and I do hereby bind myself my heirs executors administrators and every of these to fully and completely ratify and confirm all and whatsoever my said attorney shall do or cause to be done on the Premises above written as fully and as perfectly as if I myself were present at the Transactions. In Testimony of which I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 24th day of September 1796." Jane Wilson signed with her mark.

Volume 13, p. 303 - "This Indenture made the twenty fifth day of November in the year of our lord one thousand seven hundred and ninety six between John Jones Executor of John Wilson Deceased and Isaac Wilson Attorney in fact for Jane Wilson Executrix for the said Deceased both of Mason County and state of Kentucky of the one part and Christopher Orandoff of Berkeley County and State of Virginia of the other part. Witnesseth that for and in consideration of the sum of one thousand and eighty pounds Pennsylvania currency current money.... the said John Jones and Isaac Wilson have granted bargained and sold.....unto the said Christopher Orndoff and his heirs a certain Tract or Section of land situate on Vanmetres Marsh in said County of Berkeley it being a part of a larger tract of 1786 acres granted to John Vanmetre by pattent bearing date the 3rd of October 1734 and a part of the said patent of which the said bargained Section is a part was devised by the said John Vanmetre to Rebecka Hedges by his last will and testament and by Solomon Hedges and the said Rebeckah his wife and Silas Hedges their son and heir at law sold and conveyed to the said John Wilson Deceased by deed of lease and release bearing date the 13th & 14th of August 1770." This tract of land contained 120 acres and included "all houses buildings orchards ways waters water courses profits commodities hereditaments and appurtenances whatsoever..." Witnesses: Thos. Turner, Henry Orndoff, Anthony Turner Junr., Van Swearingen, J. Peirce.

Regarding the Hezekiah Thornborough, Mercy Thornborough, and John Turner who witnessed our John Wilson's will - they were Quakers from Chester Co., PA and from NC and had come from County Armagh, Ireland, descendants of Edward Thornburgh/Thornborough born ca 1685 County Armagh (Lurgan Monthly Meeting), moved to Delaware (at that time - early 1700s Delaware was part of Pennsylvania), then to Chester Co., Va , Warwick Township, which became a part of Lancaster Co., PA in 1729. His son Thomas Thornborough married Abigail Brown, daughter of James Brown and moved to Frederick County, Virginia where he was part of the Hopewell Monthly Meeting. They then moved to Guilford Co., NC where Thomas died in 1797. Thomas sister Margaret married a Turner so that may be where John Turner comes from.

THOMAS THORNBROUGH and wife Sarah SHEPHERD(daughter of Capts. Thomas Shepherd and Elizabeth VANMETER), had son THOMAS (born 1752 Shepherdstown, VA;, son Samuel, son HEZEKIAH (married Rachel Crawford), son John, son Josiah, son William, son Azariah, dau MERCY, and dau Sarah. What was their relationship to John Wilson. With either three children of Thomas and Sarah (Shepherd) Thornborough (or could be two children and the father Thomas) witnessing the will and appraising the estate, there must have been some family connection to the Wilsons. Could it be the Vanmeter connection?

Did find the following: Augusta co., Va court Records: "John Browning, deceased, in his life time bought from Jost Hite 1,200 acres on Potomac in present Berkeley, then Orange, by title bond dated 6th Nov 1736, which grantees are entitled to by several mesne devises under and from said John Browning. ANTHONY TURNER deposes 13th Feb 1798, that he came to Berkeley with his father, ANTHONY TURNER, deceased, in 1740, when he was between eight and nine. He lived there until 1752, when he moved to New Castle, and made several moves before August, 1762, when he went to Carolina, remained there two years, returned to Virginia and in August 1765, removed to North and south Carolina, made several other moves and is now living in Berkeley."

I also found information that Thomas Turner was born ca 1742 in Frederick Co., VA and married Sarah Swearingen. Anthony Turner married Margaret Swearingen. Hezekiah Swearingen married Rebecca Turner. and a sister Drusilla Swearingen born 7 Nov 1758 Hagerstown, MD married a John Wilson. Edward Wilson did have dealings with the Swearingen family in Kentucky

Virginia records show that John Wilson owned land next to Samuel Strode, son of Edward and Eleanor (__) Strode Sr. of Berkeley County, Virginia in 1764: “Samuel Strode purchased 100 acres, part of the 450-acre patent land, from Morgan Bryan for 20 pounds on 6 Sept 1748 . Samuel was in Loudoun County, Virginia on 14 Sept 1764 when he received a Fairfax grant for 225 acres adjacent east of the 100 acres and adjacent west of JOHN WILSON (Tract 79 Map 2) (Gray, Northern Neck Grants, M-302) (From Cecil O'Dell's book "Pioneers of Old Frederick Co., Va".)

The above tract 79 was on Map 2 in Odell’s book. The map was entitled “Martinsburg/Hainesville Area to Hedgesville/Little Georgetown Area. Plat 79 did not have any other plats next door to it as did many of the others, so this map does not show whose land was adjacent to John’s land. It lay between Martinsburgh and Hainesville and appears to be closer to Martinsburg than Hainesville. On the southwest corner of his tract closest to Martinsburg there is a road running through his property called “Shepherdstown to Warm Springs Road”. Just before the road intersects John Wilson’s tract, it crosses “Watkins Ferry to Kersey Ferry Road”. A branch of the Opequon Creek ran directly into his property where it ended. . Of course all of these roads are no longer existent, but may still exist as modern highways?? I note that it says above that the parcel of land was “located 1/5 of a mile east of present day U. S. Highway 11”. In Odell’s book, there are two entries for Tract 79, one dated 24 Dec 1734, John Wilson, 286 acres; and 12 Nov 1735, John Wilson, 286 acres. It appears to me that there was a total of 572 acres unless for some reason it was recorded on two different dates??

John’s land was on the east side of a small branch called Eagle Run with a house at the head of the branch drawn by Robert Brooke (Book of Surveys by Robert Brooke, Virginia Historical Society, Richmond, Virginia). This parcel of land was located 1/5 of a mile east of present day U.S. Highway 11 for which John received a patent on 12 Nov 1735 (Virginia Land Patent Book 16 p 323). -----Odell’s book.

Found it below at the Virginia Library Site:

Title: WILSON, JOHN
Publication 12 November 1735.
Other Format Available on microfilm.
Virginia State Land Office. Patents 1-42, reels 1-41.
Note Location: County location not given.
Description: 286 acres granted under an order of Council &c. granting leave to Alexander Ross and Morgan Bryan to survey in such manner &c.
Source: Land Office Patents No. 16, 1735, p. 323 (Reel 14). Part of the index to the recorded copies of patents for land issued by the Secretary of the Colony serving as the
colonial Land Office. The collection is housed in the Archives at the Library of Virginia

(p 323) "GEORGE the Second by.....of Great Britain, France, and Ireland, and King Defender of the Faith, etc......Greeting - Know ye that for divers good causes and considerations but more especially for this(?) a consideration mentioned in an order of our Lieutenant Governor and Council of our Colony of Dominion of Virginia bearing date of three and twentieth day of April one thousand and thirty five granting leave to ALEXANDER ROSS and MORGAN BRYAN to survey in such manner as they should think fit one thousand acres of land for each(?) Family of seventy Families by them brought into our said colony and settled upon the lands in the said order mentioned and to ____out patents for the same. We have granted and confirmed and by those presents for us our heirs and successors do give grant and confirm unto JOHN WILSON one certain tract or parcel of land containing two hundred and eighty six acres and bounded as followeth to wit (p324) Beginning at a red oak on the East side a small (? – or is it Pechua??) Branch of Opekon and about forty poles below the head spring and draining thence north(?) Degrees east 200 poles to a white oak thence north 80 degrees, west 100 poles to another white oak thence south 4 degrees west eighty two poles to a white oak thence 80 degrees and 26 ___to a dogwood.........
[and so forth…..a long description that I don’t think will help us trace the land]
(p. 324 then goes on) With all woods swamps marshes Low grounds Meadows Goodings (?) and his ___ of all veins Mines and Quarries as well Discovered and not Discovered within the bounds aforesd. And being part of the said Quantity of two hundred and Eighty Six acres of Land and the Rivers Waters and water courses therein contained together with the privileges of Hunting Hawking Fishing Fowling and all other Profits Commodities and ___ments whatsoever……etc.
(p 325) 12 Nov 1735 Signed William Goonis(?) (can't read)

Hopewell Monthly Meeting, (Sometimes called Opeckan in early records), Quakers
Frederick co., Va - in 1875 it was “5 miles north of Winchester and Harper’s Ferry Railroad). The meeting was established ca 1730 and for many years was attached to Concord Quarterly Meeting, Pennsylvania. It was officially established in 1735. In about the year 1730, Alexander Ross, Morgan Bryan and other Friends, secured a grant of land (a tract of 100,000 acres) on the Opeckan River and its vicinity to be settled by a large number of families of Friends from Pennsylvania, some of whom had already migrated to the Valley of the Monocacy in Maryland. By 1732, not less than 70 families had settled in this wild region. Heads of the families have been called “Fathers of the Colony”. The “Fathers of the Colony” were (among others): Alexander Ross, Morgan Bryan, Caleb Pusey, JOHN WILSON, Thomas Curtis, Nathaniel Thomas, Isaac Perkins, John Hiatt, Thomas Anderson, John Mills Sr. and Jr., John Beals, John Peteate, George Robinson, Richard Beeson, Robert Luna, John Richards, Giles Chapman, James Brown, Luke Emlon, Cornelius Cochrine, Josiah Ballenger, William Hogg, Benjamin Border, John Littler, James Wright, John Frost, Thomas Dawson, Thomas Branson, Edward Davis, JOHN HOOD, Abraham Hollingsworth, Simeon Taylor, George Hobson Sr. and Jr., Evan Thomas, John Calvert, Morgan Morgan, Hugh Parrall, James Dowe, Thomas Babb.”

Excerpts from "Pioneers of Old Monocacy" The Early Settlement of Frederick Co., Maryland 1721-1743 By Grace L. Tracy and and John P. Dern: "JOHN WILLSON, Nathaniel Thomas, John Haitt Sr, John Peteate, George Robinson, Robert Luna, Luke Emelen, Francis Pincher, John Frost, George Hobson, and John Calvert were other Quakers were other Quakers who moved through Maryland to Pennsylvania".

VA Northern Neck Land Grants 1742-1775 Vol 2
Bk M p 429 MARY TURNER of Frederick Co., Va, 25 acres on Jones Mill Run of Potowmack in said county. Surveyor Thomas Rutherford. Adjoining ANTHONY TURNER, JOHN WILSON. 2 aug 1765.

Bk M p246
Mr. Stephen West of Maryland, 413 acres on Opeckon and Vanmeters Marsh in Frederick County. Surveyor: Thomas Rutherford. Adjoining Richard Pearis, Right Honorable Thomas Lord Fairfax, JOHN WILSON, Jacob Mercer, Jacob Fetreece, Caton's Road. 6 Feb 1764.

Bk P p 89 JOHN WILSON of Frederick County, 152 acres on Cedar Creek in said county. Surveyor Peter Stephens. adjoining Joseph Butler, Henry Wetsel. 31 Nov 1771.

Bk H p 49 Hannah Johnson, widow, of Frederick County, 186 acres in said county. Surveyor William Baylis. Land where she now lives adjoining JOHN WILSON, on Branch of Opeckon, main road to Potomack. 25 Oct 1751.

Bk H p 309. Capt. Richard Morgan of Frederick Co., 493 acres in said county. Surveyor John Baylis. On Opeckon adjoining Richard Beason, Major Andrew Campbell, JOHN WILSON, G. W. Fairfax, Esq., John Mendenhall. 2 May 1753.

Note:
Frederick Co., Va Bk 9 p 140, 1 May 1764 (lease) between John Tate of County of Frederick to Andrew Beard of said county....consideration of 75 lbs...one certain tract of land containing 407 acres lying near the main road from Winchester to Watkins Ferry which said tract of land was granted by pattent to Hazel Hardwick and purchased from him by Andrew Beard and John Tate aforesaid...corner of George William Fairfax Esq...line of John Mendenhall...rent of one year of Indian corn on the last day of said term. Wit: SAML WILLSON, Andrew Campbell, John Tate. Recorded 1 May 1764.
(WHO WAS SAMUEL WILSON? This land was near our John Wilson, so was Samuel related to him?)

Bk H p 314 William Wilson of Frederick County, 297 acres in said county. Surveyor Mr. John Baylis. 12 May 1749 adjoining Benjamin Blackburn, Margaret Blackburn, east side of Little North Mountain where he now lives. 12 March 1752.

Bk M p 171 George Nealy of Frederick County, 340 acres on south side of North Mountain in said County. Surveyor: John Mauzy. Adjoining John Jones, Major Andrew Campbell, the Hon. Lewis Burwell, Esquire, Hannah Johnson, JOHN WILLSON. 23 May 1763.

Bk M p 302. Samuel Stroud of Loudon Co., VA, 225 acres on Opeckon in Frederick County. Surv. Thomas Rutherford. Adjoining JOHN WILLSON, Edmons Cullin, Stroud, James Blair. 14 Sept 1764.

Bk H p 430 Capt. Thomas Swearingen of Frederick County, 400 acres in said county. Surveyor Thomas Rutherford. Near Potomack River adjoining JOHN WILLSON, ANTHONY TURNER, JR., SWEARINGEN's patent, John Vanmeter. 1 april 1754.

Bk H p 726
ANTHONY TURNER JR of Frederick County, 300 acres in said county near Potomoack River. Surveyor Thomas Rutherford. Adjoining ANTHONY TURNER SR, SIMION TURNER, William Chaplin, Capt. Thomas SWEARINGEN, JOHN WILLSON. 2 Nov 1756.

Bk Q p 197 EDWARD WILSON of Berkeley Co., VA, 25 acres, near Opeccon in said county. Surveyor: Richard Rigg. adjoining John Williams, JAMES BROWN, land David Hunter sold MOSES HUNTER, Edward Beason, Barton, Wilson. 19 Sept 1777.

Bk P p 270 Michael Fritz of Berkeley Co., assignee of Jno Linder, 147 acres on Opeccon in said county. surveyor Richard Rigg. adjoiing George Linder, heirs of EDWARD STRODE, EDWARD WILSON, JAMES BROWN, George Parkle, Vanmeter.

Bk U p 546 Joseph Dorset, 283 acres, 4 Aug 1787 in Frederick County adjoining Col. Isaac Zane, JOHN WILSON, on Paddy's run of Cedar Creek. 22 March 1780.

Bk Q p 4 JOHN WILSON of Berkeley Co., 11 acres on Opeccon and road from Winchester to Watkins' Ferry in said County. Surveyor: Richard Rigg. Adjoiing Hon. George William Fairfax, Esq., Isaac Evans, William Long, Col. Adam Stephens. 6 Nov 1775.

Berkeley Co., Va DB3 p 60. James and Margaret Brown to Henry Miller, 14 april 1774, 343 acres on the West side of Opequon Creek adjacent to Richard Beeson, Andrew Campbell, JOHN WILSON, George William Fairfax, and John Mendenhall.

Bk R p 262
Henry Millar of Berkley County, 4 aug 1779, Informed Office of Surplus in tract near Martinsburg in said county, part of 403 acres granted 2 May 1753 to Richard Morgan who conveyed to James Brown who conveyed 321 acres to said Millar. Resurveyed by Richard Rigg, 34(?) acres (28 acres surplus to George Miller adjoining Edward Beeson, Capt. Richard Morgan, JOHN WILSON, George Tingle.

Bk S p 75
WILLIAM WLSON of Berkeley County said there is surplus in tract on Opecon about 2 miles from Martinsburg in said county, part of 225 acre granted Sept 14, 1764 to SAMUEL STORDE who sold his part. Residue at his death became property of his son Samuel Strode as heir at law, who conveyed to WILSON for 97 acres. Resurveyed by Richard Rigg shows 264 acres, 3 Ro 38 Po (167 acres 3 Ro and 38 Po. surplus). Deed to WILSON. adjoining Henry Miller, JOHN WILSON, James Blair, Samuel Strode. 3 Aug 1780.

Bk T p 63 James Strode, 122 acres (1 april 1782) in Berkeley County adjoining Joseph Chinwith, WILSON, Kellsey, on North Mountain and Opeccon, Kelvey and Co., Robert THORNBROUGH, William Kay. 8 Sept 1788.

Bk W p 628 T.W. 27- 24 Nov 1787 JOHN TURNER, assigned of Richard Sarjeant, 50 acres ( 16 Aug 1794) in Berkeley Co., on North Mountain adjoining Martin Miller, JOHN TURNER, GEORGE MILLER. 27 Nov 1795.

Bk Y p 200 Exc. TW 540-18 Sept 1793 GEO. MILLER, 50 acres (31 Oct 1794) in Berkeley Co., on North Mountain adjoining Tunis Newkirk and JOHN TURNER purchased of Edward David, George Myles, Robert Stephenson, Edward Beeson. 22 July 1796.

Bk Q p 74 Henry Vanmeter of Berkeley Co. obtained 327 acres, 20 Sept 1766 on Tuscororah Branch of Opeccon in said county. Resurveyed by Richard Rigg. Shows 360 acres 3 Po (16Acres surplus and 17 acres 3 Po waste). Whole to Vanmeter adjoining Capt. James Wales, Elizabeth Morgan, Henry Vanmeter, George Tingle, road from Martinsburg to James Forman's, George Perkle. 18 Dec 1776.

Who is the John Wilson mentioned in this will? Could he be ours?

Daniel May-Beckeley Co,VA-1777-WB 1-Pg. 95

In the Name of God Amen I Daniel May being in a poor state of health but of perfect and sound mind do make and constitute this my last will and testament. Imprimis- I dedicate my soul to the hands of Almighty God and my body to the Earth from whence it came in certain and sure hopes of a joyful resurrection hereafter. Item after my just debts and funeral charges are paid I do give and bequeath unto my good and well beloved wife Mary May my house and lot of ground lying and being in Martinsburg Beckeley County Virginia together with all and singular ,the buildings, impovements and appurtenances whatsoever thereunto belonging for and during the term and space of her natural life and after the decease of whom the aforesaid house and lot of ground together both all and singular the Buildings Improvements and appurtenances whatsover together belonging to desolve on and be the right property and Estate of Daniel May the Lawful begotten Heir of the Body of my Brother Lenard May to him and assigns forever.Item-four weeks after my Body is deposited to the ground what little merchandise I now have in possession of my well beloved wife to be exposed and sold at public auction and the money appropriated to the discharge of my just debts. Item- I also give and bequeath all my household furniture to my good and well beloved wife Mary May during her natural life and after her decease to desolve on and be right and Estate of aforesaid Daniel May to him and assigns forever and I desire and ? request Mr. JOHN WILSON and George Lewis Coffinberry to act as Executors and my well beloved wife Mary May as Executrix in setting and adjusting my Estate agreeable to this my last will and testament. In Witness my hand and seal this fourth day of April 1777.
Daniel May (his mark) dl

Signed Sealed and Declared in the Presence of us_
Ephraim Gaither, George Lewis Coffinberry , Martin Kelen

At a Court held for Berkeley County the 17th day of June 1777- This last will and testament of Daniel May deceased was presented in court by Mary May JOHN WILSON and George Lewis Coffenberry the Executors therein made who made oath thereto according to Law and the same being proved by the Oaths of Ephraim Gaither George Lewis Coffenberry and Martin Kelen Witnesses, thereto and ordered to be recorded and on the motion of the said Executors who entered into bond with John McClain John Shirealy and Jacob Berrybaker their Securities in the penalty of one Hundred pounds each Executor contioned for their true and faithful administration of the said Estate as granted them for obtaining a probate thereof in due form of Law.
Teste
Will Drew Cl Cur

----
Any help with this appreciated.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lavelda 19 Aug 2007 6:38PM GMT 
lavelda 19 Aug 2007 6:43PM GMT 
lavelda 5 Sep 2007 3:29AM GMT 
lavelda 5 Sep 2007 3:40AM GMT 
lavelda 5 Sep 2007 3:47AM GMT 
NancyHunt84 15 Nov 2007 8:25PM GMT 
NancyHunt84 15 Nov 2007 8:41PM GMT 
Thomaspage11 21 Aug 2007 9:30PM GMT 
lavelda 21 Aug 2007 9:57PM GMT 
Thomaspage11 22 Aug 2007 12:16AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions