Search for content in message boards

1787 Pendleton portion of Rockingham Land tax list

Replies: 58

Re: Pendleton Co., WV land grant map - 3 Ellsworth grants in Germany Valley

Posted: 6 Mar 2011 7:58AM GMT
Classification: Deed
Susan,

I'm glad to have been able to help. I'll continue posting the other grants you requested as I have time but some of them are south of the area we worked so I don't have any help for you there - a few of the Bennett grants and the Smith and Pence grants. Your ancestors seem to have been in several different areas of Pendleton Co and most of them miles apart.

I haven't uploaded to google maps. Steve and I halted work on the project a while back. There are many problems when working with old grants and deeds - the measurements are often inaccurate, the coordinates are off, finding neighbors often requires searching decades of land records in three or four counties (parts of Pendleton Co. were under the auspices of Augusta, Rockingham, Hampshire, and Hardy at varying times) - but, the biggest problem is finding anchoring landmarks on a modern map. Stream activity - the shifting of a watercourse in its bed - makes laying the old grants on a modern streams map very difficult if not downright impossible in some cases. Also, neither Steve nor I are near Pendleton Co. so an attempt to find GPS coordinates for any of the earliest landmarks is not an option.

We did work over a 1,000 grants in the northern half of Pendleton Co. (and probably three times that many deeds) so I have all the data on those and they're plotted in the deed-mapping program. If you decide to tackle the project of uploading to google, I'd give you as much assistance as I can but I'm often very limited in what time I have. I know that there was a deed-mapping group working on Highland Co. at one time so perhaps there are others willing and able to help with the project in Pendleton Co.

Having the exact location of an ancestor is incredibly helpful with genealogy research and a grant map of the county would be a key asset.

Sandra Keltner
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
slkmallow 15 Jul 2008 1:22AM GMT 
SusanKiley182 3 Mar 2011 7:46PM GMT 
mallowslk19 3 Mar 2011 9:21PM GMT 
SusanKiley47 5 Mar 2011 5:59PM GMT 
mallowslk19 5 Mar 2011 8:13PM GMT 
mallowslk19 5 Mar 2011 9:49PM GMT 
mallowslk19 5 Mar 2011 11:07PM GMT 
SusanKiley47 6 Mar 2011 2:03PM GMT 
mallowslk19 6 Mar 2011 2:58PM GMT 
mallowslk19 6 Mar 2011 8:29PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions