Search for content in message boards

1787 Pendleton portion of Rockingham Land tax list

Replies: 58

Re:Peter Wirey aka Wirich South Branch basin 1784 to 1793

Posted: 21 Jun 2012 4:48PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 22 Jun 2012 7:06AM GMT
In this list, I have included everything I could find on Peter Wirey aka Wirick, Wirich, Weiry, Wiery, Weirich, etc. He first appears in Hampshire County in 1784 (but may have been there the previous year). He seems to be living somewhere in the greater North or South Mill Creek area (off the main branch of the South Branch) for a few years and then he moves to the North Fork where he buys 90a and has another 80a adjoining that surveyed. There is a record of sale for the 90a in 1793 when Peter falls off the personal property tax rolls. No sale of the 80a is found until 1843 when it becomes a part of Henry Bland's inclusive parcel.

The data below is more consistent than the bits and pieces from various transcriptions have made it seem. In 1784, Peter has 5 white souls in his household - this includes women and children. We have names for three of the males - Peter himself, John, and David. Peter's wife - in 1793 per the deed of sale - is Mary (this is not enough to prove that Mary was his wife in any earlier year though). Notice that John and David do not appear on the tax rolls as they disappear off Peter's tithables.

We still have the question of how John and David were related to Peter and that's due to the scratched description of "his son" on the 1789 original list of John Poage's district. If not for that, it would look like John and David were coming of age in a father's house. That would make Peter about middle-aged but we can't make that jump.

1782 No Wirey (or variation) is listed in Hampshire County, VA.

1783 I have no data for this year.

1784 John Wilson's list for 1784 Hampshire County [Wilson's district straddled what would become the Hardy - Pendleton County border over the South Branch, North Mill Creek and South Mill Creek]

Peter Wiery 1 tithable over age 21 yrs and 1 between 16 & 21 yrs, 2 horses, and 2 cows

1784 Hampshire County in the State Census of Virginia

Robert [s/b PETER] Wirey 5 white souls, 1 dwelling

[1785 - I have no data for this year but it is likely that Peter Wirey/Wirick was in either John Wilson's or Job Welton's district in then Hampshire County]

1786 Hardy County tithables Job Welton's District

WIRICK, Peter 2 tithables over 21, 1 "under 21 yrs" 2 horses, 2 cows. (this list is semi- alphabetical so Peter's location can't be pinpointed).

[1787 Hardy County tithables - Peter is not not found in Job Welton's district nor is he found in Isaac Henkle's district on the North Fork. He may be elsewhere in either Hardy or Rockingham but I only looked where he had been and where he would be. He might have changed districts during the ennumeration but it is more likely than not that he was somewhere in the South Branch basin near the Hardy-Rockingham border]

1788 Rockingham County

District 8 [Previously known as Capt Isaac Henkle's District - the North Fork Valley approx 3/4 of the stretch of what would become Pendleton County]

Wireick Peter 1 (excess) white tithable over age 16, 3 horses

4 Aug 1789 David Herman [Harman] and Barbara [Teter Hinkle Harman], Hardy Co. sold Peter Wirick 90a on Sugar Run, a branch of the North Fork. The property is described as adjoining Thomas Bland.

1789 Pendleton County List of Taxable Property Robert Poage's District [the lower or northern half of Pendleton County]
Wierey, Peter 3 tithables over age 16, 3 horses

*Additional data from Robert Poage's "militia" list for 1789:

Peter Wirey above 21 yrs, John Wirey above 21 & David Wirey ["his son" is crossed out] above 16 & under 21 years & 3 head of horses.

1790 Pendleton County List of Taxable Property Robert Poage's District [the lower or northern half of Pendleton County]

Wiery Peter 2 tithables over age 16, 2 horses
No other Wirey emerges in Pendleton County.

1791 Pendleton County List of Taxable Property Robert Poage's District [the lower or northern half of Pendleton County]

Wiery Peter 2 tithables over age 16, 2 horses

1792 Pendleton County List of Taxable Property Roger Dyer's District [the lower or northern half of Pendleton County]

Wirey Peter 2 tithables over age 16, 2 horses

9 Mar 1792 Peter Wirick has 80a surveyed adjoining on the NE side of his former land. The parcel adjoins that of Matthias Miller. [It is in or near what is now called Bland Hills.]

1793 Pendleton County List of Taxable Property Roger Dyer's District [the lower or northern half of Pendleton County]

Wirey Peter 1 tithable over age 16, 2 horses
No other Wirey emerges in Pendleton County.

7 Oct 1793 Peter and Mary Wiry sold 90a on Sugar Run to John Wolf. The property is described as adjoining Thomas Bland.

1794 Pendleton County List of Taxable Property - No Wirey found.

There may be additional material in the court records of Pendleton County - I have made no search for Wirick or any variation. There may be additional data on the names and relationships of the tithables in various Rockingham or Hampshire County lists (originals that have not been transcribed or digitized as yet).

Unfortunately, there is nothing in this list - save the four names - Peter, John, David, and Mary which will help with placing Peter in PA prior to 1784 or in Ohio in the 1800's. Morton indicated that Margaret Weirich married Henry Bland. There is one name missing from the 5 white souls of 1784 - she may be Margaret but I've found nothing to prove her name or her marriage.

I hope this is of some use to Wirick researchers and I hope that someone will eventually post the proof of Peter's connection to PA and/or OH.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mallowslk19 21 Jun 2012 10:48PM GMT 
mallowslk19 22 Jun 2012 3:17PM GMT 
rca0715 28 Aug 2012 10:29PM GMT 
mallowslk19 28 Aug 2012 11:03PM GMT 
josephanddonn... 19 Jun 2012 6:24PM GMT 
mallowslk19 19 Jun 2012 7:14PM GMT 
Nedra Brill 19 Jun 2012 5:18PM GMT 
mallowslk19 9 Jun 2012 10:46PM GMT 
BillRexroad27 4 Mar 2011 5:23PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic