Search for content in message boards

George Coil's Will 1793

Replies: 0

George Coil's Will 1793

Posted: 14 Jul 2012 2:12PM GMT
Classification: Will
Surnames: Coyle, Coil, Kile, Geil, Summerfield, Wilson
Among the many original wills digitized by Eric Hedrick guithedrick@verizon.net for his new series of CDs, is that of George Coil (Coyle, Kile, Geil) written in 1793 and proved by witnesses in 1794.

This will contains signficant differences from the abstract in Toothman's Pendleton County, (West) Virginia Probate Records. ( I'm not sure whether these are errors of the recorder or of the abstracter but I've worked the microfilmed recordings and they are very difficult to read in many cases). At least three proper names are in error in the abstract - Joseph Summerfield (s/b Thos. Summerfield), Tom (s/b Tone), and Cate (s/b Crete).

What is abstracted as the illegible German signature of one of the witnesses appears to be the (beyond illegible) signature of an English witness named Richard Wilson.

I have not worked the other original wills vs abstracts for errors but highly recommend that family researchers do so.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions