Search for content in message boards

CHIPPS, CHIPS

Replies: 16

Re: CHIPPS, CHIPS

Posted: 26 Aug 2012 10:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Our Chipps are somewhat different or at least divergent lines. David's ancestor would have been Matthias Chipps, who was also a stone mason. Matthias was definitely the brother of Morris (Rev War pension papers of Morris' widow and children) which places him firmly into the NJ Chipps family. They were probably the sons of John and Jannetje. She has a Dutch name and so obviously seems Dutch. Some say she was a Lane (von Lainen) but I've not seen the supporting evidence so won't claim this. Also, the online von Lainen community seems never to have heard of a Jannetje who married a Chipps, which might or might not mean anything. Some assume John was also Dutch but again, I've not seen the evidence. There is some evidence he might have been Palatine (German) possibly having moved to the Netherlands before coming here, maybe he was born in Holland of Palatine parents. I'd have to dig through my papers to find it now but I did find 2 possibilities for John among the online books of emigrants in the early 18th century. Both were Palatines who sailed to America from Rotterdam (which might be the reason people decided he was Dutch.) Anyway, my Thomas Chipps might have also been a son of John and Jannetje. They did have a son named Thomas, but there are about 20 years between his christening and his appearance in Preston/Monongalia Co VA/WV as what appears to be an adult. There are no records that I have seen which make the connection between the two Thomas Chipps, one in Morris or Sommerset Co NJ and the other in Monongalia Co VA, part of that time in chat later became Preston Co (both in areas that became part of WV). So, I am still stuck at trying to define this connection. You don't need to worry about this as your line is much clearer. -------Jo
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
cathyasbury26 4 Jan 2010 11:56AM GMT 
Saidtherose 27 Aug 2012 2:00AM GMT 
JAF213 27 Aug 2012 4:01AM GMT 
cathyasbury26 15 Apr 2013 1:38PM GMT 
Saidtherose 15 Apr 2013 7:44PM GMT 
cathyasbury26 1 Apr 2009 10:42AM GMT 
jean4607 3 Jan 2010 11:59PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic