Search for content in message boards

Gilmer County: Holt/Smarr Indian Connection HELP

Replies: 12

Gilmer County: Holt/Smarr Indian Connection HELP

Kara Dowell (View posts)
Posted: 1 Nov 1999 5:41AM GMT

Hi there. I am looking for the following.............my husband's Great Great Grandmother Birdie Ann Holt b 1875 Gilmer Co, married Seymore Smarr 1893 in Gilmer. They had a daughter Ora and son Hartsell.
I have been looking for Birdie for two years and cannot for the life of me get anything on her. I have found lots on her husband's family, but nothing on her. My mother in law went to Glenville, WV recently and found that Bird's marriage cert. did not list her parents and did not find her birth certificate. Now,
here's where I get lost. My mother in law is Bird's grandaughter and says Bird lived to be close to if not beyond 100 as did Seymore. She has pictures of them and remembers being told that when Bird was 17 or 18, Seymore went to an Indian Reservation and "fetched" her to be his bride. I have gotten responses from other Holt researchers who say the Holts were not Indians, no way, no how. My mother in law believed that Bird was full blooded from what she was told, but Holt researchers of WV say she couldn't have possibly been. So, therefore I am wondering if her mother possibly was. Now, my mother in law just recently obtained a few photos from her 85 year old uncle. One of Bird's father but of course all it says on the back is "Grandpa Holt" and her uncle can't recall his name. He was very, very dark in the picture so I am even more confused. She also got a picture of a young man her uncle said was Bird's step or half brother and it was labled T. J. Holt. Unfortunately neither picture helps. I was wondering if you could possibly search for Bird or T.J. in whatever info. you have as well as possibly help with the history of Indian Reservations/Settlements in the Virginia and
West Virginia areas during that time. I don't know much about the history, but maybe that will help somehow. My mother in law was told she was a Cherokee Indian. Any help or ideas, or advice would be so greatly appreciated. I am at a dead end with her.
Thanks so much for taking the time.
Sincerely,
Kara Dowell
DowFam3@aol.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Kara Dowell 1 Nov 1999 12:41PM GMT 
Harold (Norman) Higgins 27 Jul 2001 4:25PM GMT 
Kara 3 Jan 2002 5:45PM GMT 
CMarnel 28 Jan 2002 9:08PM GMT 
floridamom200... 12 Jul 2003 3:34AM GMT 
namronie 17 Jan 2010 4:39PM GMT 
Harold Higgin... 9 Oct 2013 7:29PM GMT