Search for content in message boards

Looking for father of Jessie Miller daughter of Ethel Miller

Replies: 0

Looking for father of Jessie Miller daughter of Ethel Miller

Posted: 9 Apr 2012 6:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Miller, Melau, Edwards, Zettler
Monday, April 9, 2012

I am searching for my son’s great-great grandfather. My son’s great grandmother was Jessie Miller (1905-1991). She was raised by her grandparents, William Miller and Viola Edwards Miller. She was raised as the sister of her birth mother, Ethel Miller Melau. The Wisconsin State Censuses, 1895 and 1905 shows Ethel living with her parents in Colburn, Wisconsin:
Name: Ethel J Miller
Census Date: 1 Jun 1905
Residence County: Adams
Residence State: Wisconsin
Locality: Colburn
Birth Location: South Dakota
Marital Status: Single
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1884
Race: White
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: William RMiller
Mother's Name: Viola Miller
Line: 18
Roll: CSUSAWI1905_1
Neighbors: View others on page

Household Members: Name Age
William R Miller
Viola Miller
Ethel J Miller
Lyman H Miller
Winne L Miller
Bertha L Miller
Sylvia J Miller
Lyle H Miller

Jessie’s birthdate is recorded on the Social Security Death index as July 18, 1905, so Ethel would have been just a month away from giving birth to her when the census was taken. Jessie’s obituary says that she was born in Wild Rose, Wisconsin, but I cannot find a record of her birth on the Wisconsin Historical Society website in Adams County or Waushara County.
Ethel Miller married Axel Melau in 1907 in Portage, Wisconsin and is listed on the 1910 US Census Colburn, Adams, Wisconsin with Axel and their first son, Carl (10 months).
Jessie is listed on the 1910 US Census with William and Viola Miller as “granddaughter.”
Name: Jessie Miller
Age in 1910: 4
Birth Year: 1906
Birthplace: Wisconsin
Home in 1910: Colburn, Adams, Wisconsin
Relation to Head of House: Granddaughter
Father's Birthplace: Kansas
Mother's Birthplace: Wisconsin

William R Miller
Viala Miller
Lyman Miller
Winnie Miller
Bertha Miller
Sylva Miller
Lyle Miller
Jessie Miller

Jessie is listed on the 1920 US Census with William and Viola Miller as “daughter.”
Name: Jessie Miller
Birth Year: abt 1907
Birthplace: Wisconsin
Home in 1920: Pelican, Oneida, Wisconsin
Relation to Head of House: Daughter
Father's Name: William R Miller
Father's Birthplace: Kansas
Mother's Name: Viola Miller
Mother's Birthplace: Wisconsin
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes

William R Miller
Viola Miller
Winnie Miller
Lyle Miller
Jessie Miller
Pansy Miller
[2 5/12

FYI- Pansy Miller is listed on the 1920 US Census as the daughter of William and Viola, but she is believed to be the daughter of Lyle Miller.
I have found no clues to whom Jessie Miller’s birth father might have been. There is one family story that Ethel went out west (perhaps to stay with her grandmother, Susan Ann Darling Edwards who was reported as living in “Dakota” in 1890 and Oklahoma in 1910).
I would look at church baptism records if I knew what church they went to in Colburn, but I do not. I do know that in William Miller’s obituary it said that he was a member of the First Baptist Church of Pelican when he died. The Reverend Nelson of the Baptist church was in-charge of his service. Viola lived in Rhinelader and then Hancock after her husband died. She was buried next to him in Rhinelander. Her obituary says that the Reverend H.C. Spear was to have charge of services.
Any help in finding the birth father of Jessie Miller would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Robin Edds Shampton
Miamisburg, Ohio
Isjust4robin@yahoo.com

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions