1981 deaths: I was Gene's brother-in-law and cousin by marriage. The fire apparently started in the living room where the house was heated with a wood fire place. Kari was found still in bed. Jeanyne and Ilene were found together with Gene on the floor. It looked like he was trying to get the kids out of the house but succumbed in the attempt. His wife, my sister, was out doing God knows what. Gene was working two jobs and baby-sitting the kids. I lost a lot that night. I'm sorry I don't know much about the first fire except what my, then, wife said. Wood fireplace in a mobile home near the Lutheran church between Campia and Mikana.