Search for content in message boards

Andrew Clarence Probert, b 1862, Paterson area New Jersey, mayor Washburn, WI, 1896 news article text

Replies: 1

Andrew Clarence Probert, b 1862, Paterson area New Jersey, mayor Washburn, WI, 1896 news article text

Susan C. Hopkins (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jan 2004 5:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Probert
"Two Mayors in Paterson
Mayor A. C. Probert of Washburn, Wis, a former Patersonian, is in the city a few days as the guest of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. A. T. Probert of Totowa. Mr. Probert is in the East purely upon a business trip, negotiating the sale of a large issue of some $240,000 railroad aid bonds for Bayfield county, he being chairman of the county's board of supervisors. He is also president of the board of school directors of his city, as well as of the Washburn Public library and free reading room, and one of the trustees of the North Wisconsin Academy of Ashland, Wis. Mr. Probert is president and manager of several large business establishments of his city and is considered one of the most thoroughtly alive and wide-awake business men of his community. He was chairman of his county delegation to the Repulbican state convention at Milwaukee, Wis., which sent its delegates to the Republican national convention at St. Louis, Mo. instructed to vote for Major McKinley." [Even though only the first and middle initials of the son and the father are given, along with the Probert surname, I pretty much have all the Proberts in the Paterson New Jersey area in this time period nailed down and Andrew Clarence Probert and his father, Arthur Thomas Probert, are the only pair that fit. My database on these and related Proberts in Ohio can be found at Rootsweb and is named "bigbible." The quoted news article is undated and unsourced. It was sent to me by Arlette Keri, who was given the photocopied page by Paterson another Paterson area historian who knows she does Probert research. Arlette tells me that it is from a scrapbook of newspaper articles. It is likely from a Paterson, New Jersey area newspaper. McKinley was elected President of the USA in 1896, and I assume that the convention nominating him occurred the same year. This article implies that it was written some time between the convention and the election, as McKinley is not referred to as President. The remainder of the page from which this article came is not included in the scrapbook and I cannot tell why the article is titled "Two Mayors in Paterson" unless the elected mayor of Paterson is assumed. - Susan C. Hopkins]
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Susan C. Hopkins 8 Jan 2004 12:06AM GMT 
wahini1957 14 Oct 2013 9:23PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions