Search for content in message boards

Help needed...Rousseau in Red Cliff area.

Replies: 4

Help needed...Rousseau in Red Cliff area.

Posted: 19 Sep 2012 5:47AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rousseau, Martin, Babineau
I've been trying to locate any information on my 2nd great grandfather, Charles Rousseau, born about 1832 in Canada. By 1860 he was living in Michigan and married to Charlotte Martin (daughter of Solomon). I can't find the marriage record but census says "married." This family has been a 15 year old brick wall for me.

Charlotte was previously married to a Babineaux and had 2 kids with him: Antoine Babineau born about 1854 in Michigan and Macala Babineau born about 1860 in Michigan.

Charles and Charlotte had 4 kids:
Joseph M. Rousseau born about 1867 in Michigan
Charlotte J. Rousseau born about 1868 in Michigan
Charles Rousseau born about 1871 in Michigan
John Jonas Rousseau (my great grandfather)born May 17, 1875 in Beaver Island, Michigan. He is the only one I can find any information on.

John Jonas said he was raised on or near the Red Cliff Reservation, possibly in an orphanage but I've found no records of this anywhere. Because I can't find any death records in Michigan for the family I am beginning to think the whole Rousseau family may have moved to Red Cliff area.

I have the census records for the Rousseau family in St. Ignace, Michigan from 1860-1880 and this is where they disappear... Rousseau has been spelled Rousseaux, Reso and Russaw (John Jonas birth record has Russaw as his last name).

If anyone here can help me find this family in or near Red Cliff I would be forever grateful!!
Thank you,
Delayne
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Delayne_Duhai... 19 Sep 2012 11:47AM GMT 
davidlmoodymd 20 Sep 2012 2:27AM GMT 
Delayne_Duhai... 20 Sep 2012 12:10PM GMT 
davidlmoodymd 20 Sep 2012 7:21PM GMT 
Delayne_Duhai... 20 Sep 2012 7:55PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic