Search for content in message boards

Samuel A. HARRISON--does anyone know his family?

Replies: 1

Samuel A. HARRISON--does anyone know his family?

Posted: 20 Jun 2008 7:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: HARRISON, BRIGHTON, LONGDIN, HARBRIDGE, WILLIAMSON, MUNGER, FULTON, GARVEY, CORNING, BURROWS, DELANEY
Hi everyone,

Can anyone please help with a family for my gr. gr. grandfather. A brick wall for 25 or so years.

Samuel A. HARRISON was born 10 March, 1821 according to his age and date of death on his tombstone. He was born in England. His wife, Susan BRIGHTON, was born in England also in 1823 to John and Sophia EDWARDS BRIGHTON.

The BRIGHTONS came to Ontario, Canada in 1835. Susan and Samuel HARRISON met and married in the Waterloo/Berlin area of Ontario, Canada in 1842. I checked the early assessment lists and found no HARRISON families. He may have been from Hamilton or Buffalo, New York. Samuel and Susan went to Buffalo, New York later in 1842 and Samuel joined the US Army for 5 years. He was discharged in 1847 in Mexico during the Mexican American War.

Samuel HARRISON received a land grant due to his army service and used it to settle in the DePere/Glenmore area in Brown Co., Wisconsin. The NW 1/4 of Sec. 5, T 22N, R 21E.

Samuel enlisted again for the Civil War in Co.F of the 14th Reg. He was wounded at the Battle of Corinth, MS, his leg was amputated and he died in Oct., 1863 of gangrene. Susan and 7 children continued to live in the DePere area. She died 8 July, 1899. They are both buried in the Greenwood Cem.

Their children may have been named after relatives so I will list their names:

Mary Elizabeth bn. Buffalo, NY, marr. John LONGDIN,
James HARBRIDGE
Henry Albert bn. Buffalo, NY, marr. Harriet WILLAMSON
John James bn. Mackinac, MI, marr. Lovisa MUNGER
Richard Edward bn. Glenmore, marr. Ellen FULTON, Mary GARVEY
Harriet Sophia bn. DePere, marr. Cyrus CORNING
Annetta Maria bn. DePere, marr. George BURROWS
Sarah Louette bn. DePere, marr. Theodore DELANEY

I will greatly appreciate any assistance anyone can provide. My hope is someone can fit Samuel into their Harrison family as I know none of his family members. Thank you very much.

Carol Harrison
California
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
carolh7 21 Jun 2008 1:47AM GMT 
schmidtkaren1 15 Oct 2013 11:39AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions