Search for content in message boards

Lookup-History of Buffalo County-1888

Replies: 8

Re: Lookup-History of Buffalo County-1888

Posted: 3 Jun 2013 5:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Here are all of the other mentions of Morse, in addition to the page that was already noted:

Page 397 (413 in PDF): Section "Agriculture". "At our fairs we had different speakers almost every year, of whom I remember Elder Morse, ..."

Pages 469-470 (485-486 in PDF): Section "Religion" Churches at Mondovi. 2. Baptist Church. Present pastor, Rev. A.C., Robinson. Services: Sunday, 11 a.m. Sunday school, 12m. On alternate Sundays evening service 8 p.m. Prayer meetings Wednesday evenings. Although application has been made, no report was received from Rev. A.C. Robinson. From memory and from notes of others I supply the following: Rev. B.F. Morse must be considered the father of the Baptist Congregation at Mondovi. He came in 1856, and says: "For the first ten years of my ministry my field of labor extended over parts of three counties, Buffalo, Pepin and Eau Claire. I supported myself principally by farming." The "Elder," as Mr. Morse was familiarly called, was a favorite with numerous Christians of all denominations. He was highly respected for his sincerity and unaffected affability towards all persons. For many years he was the pastor of this church, and during his pastorate the congregation built a splendid new church and furnished it neatly and comfortably. On several occasions he was the speaker at agricultural fairs and always did meet expectations. For some years and age and infirmity compelled him to quit the ministerial service. I regret to learn that he is about to move to the farther West, but he takes with him the best wishes of the writer among those of a host of others. To resume the history of the church, it appears that this congregation, in common with that of the Congregationalists, extended assistance to the Methodists for the furnishing of their church, and that it occupied the same church with them and the Congregationalists for about three years. According to the statement in the Buffalo County Atlas their new church was built in 1873 at a cost of $5,000. It stands at the corner of Main and Franklin streets.

Page 491 (507 in PDF), in the "Earlier Marriages" section, #150 James M. Cathcard to Mary Min. Warren, May 27 '62 by Rev. B.F. Morse

Page 542-543 (558-559 in PDF), in the section "Soldiers". Twenty-Fifth Regiment of Infantry. Company G. Henry L. Morse, Private.

Page 558 (574 in PDF): Thanks from the author to Elder B.F. Morse of Mondovi (among others) for assistance in compiling list of early settlers.

Page 637 (653 in PDF): Sections "Towns", Gilmanton. "The first religious meeting was held by Rev. B.F. Morse at the house of Mr. Rathbun."

Page 644-645 (660-661 in PDF): Section "Towns", Mondovi. "The first settlers in this town came in 1855 and were H.P.L.D. and P. Farrington, Wm. Van Waters, Thos. Glasspool and Harvey Brown. Rev. B.F. Morse came in 1856."

Later in that section: "The first marriage was that of Mr. and Mrs. Billings and the knot was tied by Rev. B.F. Morse in a shanty belonging to John Callahan."

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
palmerogro75 9 Mar 2011 7:48PM GMT 
twosteprox 1 Jun 2013 6:16PM GMT 
palmerogro75 2 Jun 2013 3:43PM GMT 
NutileR91 3 Jun 2013 5:18AM GMT 
twosteprox 3 Jun 2013 11:30PM GMT 
palmerogro75 4 Jun 2013 1:04AM GMT 
twosteprox 4 Jun 2013 1:47AM GMT 
palmerogro75 4 Jun 2013 3:22PM GMT 
NutileR91 4 Jun 2013 2:25AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions