Search for content in message boards

Alex B. McDonell

Replies: 4

Alex B. McDonell

Posted: 7 Sep 2008 3:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
I was going through an elderly relative's newpaper clippings in Ontario and came across a partial article from an unidentified newspaper, discussing the contents of a Sir Alexander B. McDonell's will. I could not find out much information about him on the internet, except for an earlier post on this message board talking about the death of his brother Allan in Glengarry ON, in Sept 1904.

I would like to eventually find out whether or not this is a relative. Any info about him would be greatly appreciated!

The following is the text of the clipping, which is incomplete:

Endowment for M'Donell School:

The will of the late Sir Alexander B. McDonell was entered for probate Tuesday afternoon. The value of the estate will not be known until the appraisers finish with their work. The will was made August 9, 1909 and provides for the disposition of property in case of the death of his son, Alexander A. McDonell.Bequests of the will are as follows:To Alexander A. McDonell, his son, the deceased bequeathed all his personal property and homestead. To Donald and Margery McDonald, Glengarry, Ontario, $10 000 each. To Angus McDonell, Glengarry, Ontario, $5000To S.B. Nimmons, Chippewa 50 shares of stock in the Lumberman's National Bank, Chippewa Falls..Florence O'Neill, New York, $5000. Henry O'Neill, $2,500. Otillia Ruff, Chippewa Falls, $7000. Estella M. Granger, Kankakee, Ill. $3000. Katherine McKay, Altoona, $3000. Mrs. Angus J. McDougal, Minneapolis, $3000. Hotel Diew Hospital, Cornwall, Ontario Canada $5000. Catholic Church Extension Society of the United States, $5000. St Joseph's Hospital, Chippewa Falls, $1000.In memory of my beloved children, Emily R. McDonell and Donald Henry McDonell, who were drowned together in Long Lake, Chippewa county, Wis. on the 25th day of June, 1900, I give, devise and bequeath with the bishop of the Catholic church of the diocese of LaCrosse, Wis. and to the Notre Dame Parish Catholic church of Chippewa Falls, the sum of $25000, in trust, said sum to be invested and used for the maintenance of the McDonald Memorial HIgh school in Chippewar Falls, Wisconsin. The residue of the estate is left to Mr. Wm Irvine, Chippewa Falls, Mr. Fred E. Weyerhauser, St. Paul, and Mr. S.B. Nimmons, Chippewa Falls, who are to have full charge of the estate and are appointed ex-.....
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
glengarrygal2... 7 Sep 2008 9:54PM GMT 
gennotes 27 Jan 2009 8:09PM GMT 
ruthtyson310 11 Nov 2012 4:37AM GMT 
jamespaulschu... 18 Feb 2013 11:04PM GMT 
ruthtyson310 25 Apr 2013 2:15AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions