Search for content in message boards

Davidson

Replies: 3

Re: Davidson - George lived in Verona/Sarbacker connection

Posted: 27 Feb 2012 2:56AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 17 Nov 2012 3:19AM GMT
Surnames: Davidson, Sarbacher, Sarbacker, France
I have been researching the Davidson family from Verona starting in 1844 when Adam came over from Scotland and settled in Verona. His brother George came over soon after and wrote a letter in 1849 telling the family in Scotland what it was like to live in America, and to come over when they could. Luckily, the letter was passed down through the family. I made a transcript of it and have been searching for the people mentioned in it for a long time.
In late 1850's a brother Thomas (my ggrandfather), and his sister Agnes came over and settled near Adam and George. They are all listed in the 1860 census including Agnes's 2 year old son George. I have tracked young George through every census. In 1900 George was married and had three children, John 10, Pearl 9, and Laura 7.Laura married George A. Sarbacher (Sarbacker) from Verona. I have only been able to access census records up to 1930 where George Davidson is 72 years old and lived with George A. and Laura. George died in Verona in 1946 at age 88. There is an obit in Wisc. State Journal 3Aug1946 for George. It mentions that he was survived by two daughters Mrs. George Sarbacher, Verona, and Mrs. Raymond Sier, Sterling Ill. I assume this is Pearl. It also mentions a son John in Madison. It also says he had five grandchildren and one ggchild. It doesn't mention names. George A. was the first sheriff of Verona, a sexton for the Verona cemetery for twenty years, and according to the census he worked for the railroad as a laborer and later as a foreman.
There have been a few posts asking for info on George Davidson that say his son John married Jesse France and they had 3 children, Lawrence, Carol, and Lloyd. Jesse's parents were Newell and Jenny France. I have mostly been looking backwards from 1930 looking for Davidson ancestors. I have looked at census records and old maps and plats. It took me a while to sort through all the George Davidsons and make sure I could tell which was which. When I found the post looking for info for George, I started looking back for the Sarbacher/Davidson connection and found the obit in 1946. I then traced back the Sarbachers through Henry in the 1900 census with a son George who was 9. By the 1920 census he was 30 so I figured he was George A., then I traced Henry back to 1860 census to Francis (Frank) Sarbacher, a cabinetmaker from Bavaria who had a son Henry age 10 (wife was Dorothea)in Montrose Township. I don't know for sure that the two Henry's are the same person, but the ages are close. Here's the kicker, Frank Sarbacher had a farm next door to George Davidson near Mount Vernon (section 12) Primrose TS in the atlas of Dane county 1873. The Davidsons and Sarbachers were neighbors back in the 1870's. I hope some of this info is helpful. At some point I want to track George Davidson's family forward and look for living relatives. I have a few more details about George D. if you are interested. Let's keep in touch, I feel like my search is just beginning and I will keep my eye out for more Sarbacher connections. Let me know what you find out so I can round out my research on the Davidsons. Thanks for posting.
Alan Davidson
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
gail 9 May 2001 12:00PM GMT 
Alan Davidson 27 Feb 2012 5:22AM GMT 
eabl11 27 Feb 2012 5:44AM GMT 
Alan Davidson 27 Feb 2012 9:56AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions