Search for content in message boards

Rummens(Rummins)

Replies: 5

Re: Rummens(Rummins)

Posted: 6 Apr 2012 10:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rummens, Hoyt, Kurvink
I was able to locate an obituary for you from the Humboldt Co. Independent newspaper, August 5, 1897, page 6. You may have this. I am not a descendant of this family. If you would like a copy of the original it would be a pdf format and you would have to e-mail me direct: marana@tds.net

William Rummens was born July 20, 1820 at Battle Township, Parishor Co., Sussex, England and emigrated to Albany, NY in 1830. He was married to Miss E.C. Hoyt at Saratoga, NY in 1843. She was a native of New York and was born June 28, 1823. They emigrated in 1844 to that part of Wisconsin territory now known as Richfield, Washington Co. There was born to them 11 children - five boys and six girls - two of whom died in infancy. Mrs. E.C. Rummens died September 10, 1863 leaving nine children, five boys and four girls.
In 1864 William Rummens moved to Humboldt Co., Iowa with his nine children, where he resided until the time of his death which occurred July 20, 1897. Their children according to their ages are as follows: Samuel, Abbie J. (Mrs. Franklin); Eunice C. (Mrs. Wohraan (spelling?), Deceased; Susan G. (Mrs. Cooper, deceased); William J. (whereabouts unknown); John f., deceased; George H., Millissa C.A. (Mrs. Keay, in Nebraska); Abner W; and two girls who died in infancy.
All the surviving members were present at thefuneral which occurred at the Methodist Church in Hardy last Sunday forenoon, with the exception of Wiliam J. Rev. Stiles officiated and there was a very large attendance.
Deceased was a man of strictly temporate habits. In infancy he was baptized into the Episcopal Church in England. At the age of 19 he united with the I.O.O.F. When the war broke out he offered himself as a volunteer but was not received on account of a stiff ankle, caused by a cut from an ox while cutting wood in 1858. There were many traits in his character which one would do well to emulate and which will cause his memory to be dear to those he leaves behind. Peace to his ashes.
During the prolonged sickness of William Rummens the bereaved family were shown such kind attention by the neighbors that they desire to express their thanks publicly. In 42 nights of watching, there were only three that some neighor was not at his bedside, cheering and assisting. Their kindness is fully appreciated.

The family.

I will send some information regarding the death of M.R. Kurvink.
I reside near Madison, Wisconsin. Please let me know if this has helped you.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
brum20 23 Mar 2012 8:06PM GMT 
barbdale_1 30 Mar 2012 5:29PM GMT 
barbdale_1 30 Mar 2012 11:12PM GMT 
SANDRAKWEBER0... 7 Apr 2012 4:54AM GMT 
SANDRAKWEBER0... 7 Apr 2012 5:05AM GMT 
kld314 21 Dec 2012 6:10AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic