Search for content in message boards

Brick Wall Challenge - Bishop - Outagamie, Dodge Counties.

Replies: 1

Brick Wall Challenge - Bishop - Outagamie, Dodge Counties.

Posted: 25 Aug 2011 12:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bishop, Matson, Packard,
I consider myself a pretty good Genealogist, but I’m at a standstill with my research and it is driving me crazy. I’m hoping a new set of eyes or someone else’s help or insight might get me the clues I need to break down this brick wall.

My elusive ancestor is Arthur Bishop, and here are the FACTS that I know about him.
- Married Berthena Matson (daughter of Horton Matson and Mary Jane Chase) on 7 Oct 1874 in New London, Waupaca, Wisconsin. I have a copy of the marriage license and it only says Arthur’s place of residence is Dodge Co. Wisconsin, but does not list any other information about him. (It lists Berthena’s parents as Sylvanus and Mary Moore, as her mother was remarried).
- 1880 Census from Maine, Outagamie, Wisconsin lists Arthur (b. 1855 in WI), Berthena (b. 1859 in PA), and son Claude W (b. 1879 in WI) This census lists Arthur’s parents as being from Virginia
- 1895 WI Census from Maine, Outagamie, Wisconsin lists Arthur’s household with 2 males and 1 female.
- Arthur Bishop and Berthena Matson were divorced (or Arthur died) sometime between 1895 and 1900 because Berthena is listed with her new husband Daniel Edward (Ezra) Packard in 1900 in Rhinelander, Oneida, Wisconsin. I know this is the correct Berthena because my grandfather (Claude Bishop Jr. b. 1905) lived with her when he was young and I have all her death records and obituary . I have not been able to find a marriage license for Daniel Edward Packard and Berthena anywhere. This is also something I am looking for. I’ve checked Oneida, Lincoln, and Outagamie counties with no luck. Their marriage might lead to a the death or Arthur or a divorce.
- **NOTE** My Arthur Bishop is not the same Arthur Bishop who was a Congressman from Appleton, Wisconsin that was married to Margaret Young. This is confusing because the two Arthur’s are about the same age and from the same area***
Here are some other things that I have found but cannot verify:
- Since the marriage license said Arthur was from “Dodge County, Wisconsin” I searched the Dodge County 1870 Census and found:
o Arthur Bishop (b . 1855 in IL) living with father Samuel (b. 1820 in Canada) in Hubbard, Dodge, Wisconsin. Also siblings, Amelia (b. 1851 in IL), Edwin (b. 1856 in WI), and Alice. No mother is listed.
o Arthur Bishop (b. 1849 in England) in Ashippun, Dodge, Wisconsin. He is listed as a boarder with the Woodin family.
o Either of these could possibly be him, or it’s possible that neither is him.

- On the 1860 Census there is a Samuel Bishop (b. 1812 in Canada) with wife Elizabeth, and children Alfred (b. 1848 in WI), Amelia (b.1851 in WI), Arthur (b. 1855 in WI), Edwin (b. 1856 in WI), Levina (b. 1859 in WI), and Alice (b. 1860 in WI). There is a good chance this is the same family from the 1870 census in Dodge County.

- Arthur’s son Claude lived in Breen, Dickinson, Michigan and is listed on the 1900 Census there. There is also an Arthur Bishop on that census in Breen. It says he was born Feb 1855 in Maine, and he is a boarder. It looks like he is working at a sawmill. Besides the obvious reasons why I believe this is him, there are other names listed on this census record as boarders at the same place who are from the same area of Outagamie County that Arthur lived (i.e. Rufus Poole, and William and Edmund Ridout). Another tidbit is that some other relatives that I have found on Census records have indicated that either they or their parents were born in “Maine” but they were actually born in Maine township in Outagamie County.

- I’ve also found a marriage license from Menominee County, Michigan (which is next to Dickinson) for an Arthur Bishop and Viola Foote Worth on 7 Aug 1902. Since Berthena remarried it’s possible that Arthur may have as well. This license indicates Arthur was born in 1858 in Wisconsin, and his bride was from Rhinelander, Oneida, Wisconsin (which is where Berthena and their son Claude Sr were living at the time). This also lists Arthur’s parents as Samuel Bishop and Mary James (see note below re: 1880 Census)

Following the lead the the Samuel Bishop family from the Dodge County 1870 Census is the family of Arthur Bishop if found the following, which still hasn’t given me the proof that I need!
- 1850 Census in Chicago, IL for Samuel Bishop (b. 1828 in Canada) wife Elizabeth (b. 1823 in Canada), and son Alfred (b. 1847 in Canada). It’s possible that this is the same family since one census indicated Arthur was born in Illinois, and as we know sometimes census records are hard to read or there are transcription errors or sometimes just inaccurate information.

- 1880 Census in Horicon, Dodge, Wisconsin for Samuel Bishop (b. 1820 in Canada) and wife Mary E. Bishop (b. 1845 in Illinois).

o From the 1902 marriage to Viola Foote, Arthur indicated his parents were Samuel Bishop and Mary James, which may have been referring to his step mother?

o I checked Dodge County’s Register of Deeds several years ago and did not find any information on a marriage for Samuel Bishop and Mary, or deaths for either of them, and I don’t find them in any subsequent census reports. They’ve vanished.

- I’ve found a marriage record for Amelia Bishop (possible sister to my Arthur) and Andrew Noble from 31 May 1876 Utica, Winnebago, Wisconsin. This marriage license lists Amelia’s parents as Samuel and Elizabeth Bishop. I’ve tracked down Amelia and she died in 1909 in Erie, PA. I sent for her death certificate and obituary which proved inconclusive.
- I’ve also found a marriage license for Alice Bishop (possible sister) and Edward Reynolds from 25 Apr 1883 in Rochelle, Ogle, Illinois. This lists Alice’s parents as Samuel Bishop and Elizabeth Good. Alice died 25 Mar 1929 in Davenport, IA. I have her death certificate and obituary which indicate the same parents’ names and say that she was born 2 Feb 1860 in Milwaukee, WI, but does not provide further information

- The other children of Samuel and Elizabeth are a mystery. Alfred/Albert was 10 years older than Arthur so it’s possible he moved away and got lost in the shuffle or just died. Levina probably died between 1860 and 1870 because she is on the 1860 census and not the 1870. Edwin also disappeared. I’ve checked Dodge County for their death records several years ago but was unable to find anything. I haven’t been able to locate a cemetery where they might be buried either.

- I’ve checked the Milwaukee Birth Index from 1850-1902 at the Milwaukee Public library for births for any of the children on Samuel and Elizabeth, but was not able to find anything.

- Arthur and Berthena’s son Claude Sr. was married to Cora Thompson 26 Oct 1896 in Aniwa, Shawano, Wisconsin. This marriage license lists Arthur and Berthena Bishop as Claude’s parents, and “Bertha Bishop” is listed as a witness. So Berthena wasn’t yet married to Daniel Packard in 1896. Claude Sr. has a son Douglas who was born in Hogarty, Marathon, Wisconsin in 1897 and this is very close to Aniwa, as they are both on the boarder of Shawano and Marathon Counties.

o Claude Sr and Cora had the following children – I’ve not been able to find birth certificates or records for any of them, but got this information from their death records.
 Douglas Irvin Bishop – b. 18 Apr 1897 in Hogarty, Marathon, Wisconsin
 Effie Caroline Bishop – b. 3 Feb 1900 in Hortonia, Outagamie, Wisconsin
 Dana Irene Bishop – b. 1902 in Jersey City, Lincoln, Wisconsin (Dan Packard and Berthena Bishop are listed in the WI 1905 Census as living there)
 Claude Jr and Cora Bishop (twins) b. 8 May 1905 in Foster City, Breen, Michigan

I know this is a lot of info and is confusing. Here is a link to Arthur in my ancestry.com family tree. All of the documents I’ve referenced are scanned and linked in there.
http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/15043066/person/203470025

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Michael Bisho... 25 Aug 2011 6:02PM GMT 
wglauer24 25 Jun 2012 6:33AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions